Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering leaks

Mr. Chuck

Corvette
1981 Two tone silver / dr grey
Looking for any ideas / thoughts about on-going power steering leaks and different approaches to fixing or up-grading system to a more robust system / components! Can't seem to really get rid of leaks in the power steering system.

I had years of trouble until I had EVERY component replaced at the same time. Made all my part purchases through Corvette catalog venders.
Heidi

I did the same as Heidi and had no more leaks.....good luck:)
78SilvAnniv said:
I had years of trouble until I had EVERY component replaced at the same time. Made all my part purchases through Corvette catalog venders.
Heidi

78SilvAnniv said:
Heidi

Ditto. Bite the bullet and replace the hoses, pump (I think you can only buy "remanufactured"), NEW cylinder and NEW valve. And be REAL carefull screwing in the hoses (make sure you have them going in the correct connections) since it's very easy to cross thread them - and make them "just" tight enough. It's always better to have them first not fully tightened and go back and tighten them than to have them fully cranked too tight in the begining. Check the different vendors because one of them (I one I bought from which I cannot remember - it may be everyone's favorite, the big E) gives you a decent credit on your old parts when you buy the new cylinder and valve. It's a core return on the pump.

Looking into getting mine done this summer also!

I had leaks until I did two things... I changed the P/S hoses, and replaced the P/S belt with one that was the correct size!

After I had replaced the hoses... I found out that the pump was not mounted in the correct position. It had been leaned over on an angle because the belt that was on there was too big. I also found a missing bolt for the P/S pump mount. I replaced the bolt and the belt. The right size belt made the pump sit up right... instead of on an angle. The fluid would leak out just like your coffee spills out of a cup around a tight turn because the pump was cockeyed!!!

Make sure everything is the way it was intended before replacing the whole system.

OR... start doing curls and go without :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom