Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering Possessed???

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
After a restoration, I started the car last night, and most peculiar thing happened...
The steering wheel was violently jerking from side to side. I could stop it, but it was impossible to turn against the forces (whatever they are :confused).
It would stop for a while, but touching the wheel would send it spinning again.
I finally just cut the belt.
I had the power steering pump and hoses out of the car, and all the fluid was gone for months.

Any Ideas as to what is going on here, and how to fix it?

Yeah, It still has air in the system!!! And maybe a valve stuck in unit,I recommend Lucas Power steering stop leak and conditioner!!!!! Let idle and turn from lock to lock several times until smooth!!!:upthumbs

In my limited experience, a PS cylinder is out of adjustment when it jerks to one side and stays there. I have read on other forums that what you have is a mostly likely a set of hoses that are misrouted, try reversing them and see what happens.
Gary

My guess is the hoses at the ram are reversed double check. I think you will find this is the problem . it will break your arm if you reach through the wheel to start it it is a little unsettling when it happens good luck Steve

bradfordsvettes said:
My guess is the hoses at the ram are reversed double check. I think you will find this is the problem . it will break your arm if you reach through the wheel to start it it is a little unsettling when it happens good luck Steve
No Kidding. I couldnt believe the force at which it was spinning!
I could have sworn that I replaced them one at a time to avoid this, but I guess Ill try it out.

My dad has a vette exactly like the one in your picture there.

Thanks!

Check the control valve,sounds like it's not balanced.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom