Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Power Steering Pump Pulley

paz72vette

Corvette
1972 stringray
I am doing a conversion to P/S on a 72. On the pulley center section where it goes onto the pump it is offset. Which way is offset? I have the 2 groove cast iron pulley. Offset to the radiator or to the Pump?

Many thanks

Cheers

Vito

Gotta be a big block. The spoke part of the pulley goes to the outside. When installed properly, the inside pulley will be close to the pump reservoir. Put it on backwards, and there will be a big gap between the pulley and pump reservoir. If that makes any sense...

SVO

Yes it makes sense. Thanks a bunch. I see you also have an LS-5. Do you have a picture of the pulley configuration? I think that I also need to change the crank pulley. I have to 2 grove crank pulley and I think that I need a 3. For the P/S

Many thanks

cheers

Vito

My 69 BB has a 2 groove pulley on the crank- No A/C.

Belt goes from the rear crank pulley to the water pump (captured belt, you have to pull the fan/pulley to install). then the front crank pulley groove goes around the water pump to the rear groove on the P/S pump. front groove on the P/S pump goes to the alternator..

I've got the part numbers for the belts if you need them. May not be exact for your car, but they are a good starting point.
:beer

Yep, the crank pulley is cast iron 3 belt pulley. Heavy sucker. The water pump pulley is a 3 belt pulley also. Send me a email thru the forum & I can send you some pictures. Just as a coincidence, I'm currently going thru the P/S system on my car, so all of this is fresh on my mind. The Corvette assembly manual is a good reference for converting a non-P/S car to P/S.

@ TimAT - Haven't look at a non-a/c big block car in a while, but on a P/S-A/C car, the water pump belt isn't a captured belt. It has a idler pulley that rides on the outside of the belt to adjust the belt tension. The Idler is bolted to the front of the block to the right of the P/S pump and below & to the left of the water pump. Often, the bearing in the idler goes bad and people convert them to a captured belt due to the cost of the idler.

I also have NAPA part numbers for the belts should you need them.

SVO,

PM sent. I got the pulley on last night and yup I need a differeny crank pulley. Those things aren't cheap. Also you have P/N for the parts? I could use them as well.

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Vito

These are the P/N's of the belts I'm using. I do have the original pulleys on the car- NO A/C!!
There are many different possible combinations of pulleys depending on what options the car had new. Like SVO pointed out- and even on some of the non-A/C BB's they used an idler pulley.
Ol' Red was an L-89 BB from the factory and used the captured belt but not all the BB cars did.

These numbers should get you close.

Dayco 15325 Crank to Water pump
Dayco 15445 Crank to water pump to Power Steering
NAPA 25-08003 Power Steering to Alternator

Be careful with the crank to water pump belt- too short will load the bearings on the water pump and eat it in short order, too long and it could toss it.

My 69 BB has a 2 groove pulley on the crank- No A/C.

Belt goes from the rear crank pulley to the water pump (captured belt, you have to pull the fan/pulley to install). then the front crank pulley groove goes around the water pump to the rear groove on the P/S pump. front groove on the P/S pump goes to the alternator..

These are the #'s I've used since '84 . GM p/n 3952336 15/32x317/8 dampener to water pump ; GM p/n 9433738 7/16x431/4 Dampener to power steering ; GM p/n 9433714 7/16x301/2 power steering to alt. Be advised the alt mount bracket is probably bent. I replaced mine with a new GM replacement alternator mount bracket. Much beefier.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom