Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power Steering Pump

CmbtApl

Corvette
69 L46 Roadster
I have been lurking for a while on this and the "other" forum while getting ready to rebuild my 350ci/350hp 69 convertible. I have begun.

Every seal on the entire vehicle leaks large quantities of fluids so I decided to start with something fairly straightforward and small...the power steering pump. I purchased a seal kit for it and found my first unexpected issue.

The Corvette (only) PS pump has a filter element contained inside the pump. The filter appears to be a donut of sintered material where the PS fluid passes through it radially to be filtered.

The part appears in the '69 Chassis Overhaul Manual as item #6 in Fig 17 on page 9-8 (and in the attached file) but I can't find the part in my GM Corvette parts list catalog nor at my local NAPA parts store catalogs.

Does anybody know what the part number is? Or where to get a replacement? or how to clean it for re-use? (If possible, I don't want to re-use it because it is beginning to show age cracking)

Thanks
Paul

That '63-'73 Corvette-only filter (5689351) and element (5689352) were GM-discontinued over 30 years ago; rebuilt pumps haven't had them for decades. :)

Thank you

Thanks... the parts in your picture are the parts I was looking for....I had pretty much figured out that they weren't available and were probably not necessary but I thought I would check..... I appreciate the feedback.

Paul

Welcome to the CAC.

Keeps apprised of your progress.

PS Pump Update

I have finished my power steering pump rebuild, thanks to some timely advice from JohnZ on this forum. Here are the before and after pictures. … I just posted a new question regarding the power steering valve. Please take a look and let me know if you know the answer.

Thanks
Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom