Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering Pump

S

Striker 85

My 69 sat for about 18 years. I took it out on a shake down ride. Once the engine got warm, I heard a squeal from under the hood. I originally thought it was the belt. After parking it, all the PS steering fluid leaked out over a period of about 3 weeks. I power washed the bottom and added some more fluid and started it up. With the wheels turning, I noticed the fluid is leaking from the hose that comes out of the back of the pump. The control valve and cylinder look good, in fact they look like they are fairly new. My question is replace the hoses, or both the hoses and the pump? I am leaning towards the latter. My next question is the process the same as replacing the control valve? Drain, remove, put everything back on, leave the cylinder hanging and not attached, fill with fluid and start it up, making sure my hands are well clear of the steering wheel. Then reattach the cylinder. Any special tools needed for this, or any other tips???

Thanks

The hose probably dry rotted from sitting so long.I'd just replace the hose and see what happens.If it is the low pressure hose that failed i would repace both hoses just to be safe.

My 69 sat for about 18 years. I took it out on a shake down ride. Once the engine got warm, I heard a squeal from under the hood. I originally thought it was the belt. After parking it, all the PS steering fluid leaked out over a period of about 3 weeks. I power washed the bottom and added some more fluid and started it up. With the wheels turning, I noticed the fluid is leaking from the hose that comes out of the back of the pump. The control valve and cylinder look good, in fact they look like they are fairly new. My question is replace the hoses, or both the hoses and the pump? I am leaning towards the latter. My next question is the process the same as replacing the control valve? Drain, remove, put everything back on, leave the cylinder hanging and not attached, fill with fluid and start it up, making sure my hands are well clear of the steering wheel. Then reattach the cylinder. Any special tools needed for this, or any other tips???

Thanks
To save work later, replace both lines. Unless the pump is leaking at the shaft seal there's no need to replace it.
No special trick to bleeding the lines. But you want to get some line wrenches to avoid messing up the fittings on the lines. If they are really stuck getting them off, vise grips work good. ;)
Fill up the reservoir, start the engine, and crank the wheel lock-to-lock a few times to purge the cylinder of air. The air will be returned to the reservoir and new fluid will recirculate through the system. Then re-check the dipstick and add to the fill mark.

I would drain all the fluid from everywhere you can into a clear container and check for metallic contamination. If the pump was run dry, the vanes in the pump would be metal to metal with little or no lubrication.

JMO.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom