Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power steering unit replacement

HotL82

Corvette
1979 Red on Red L82
Heyas all, getting ready to replace my power steering valve, cylinder and the 4 hoses and was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the power steering unit out while I am at it?
It is not leaking and is in great working condition.

:w

I wouldn't replace the pump if it is not leaking and seems to work ok ;) What I would do is before disconnecting the old hose's from the pump, I would rinse out the internals with a full fill of new fluid, just make sure it comes out clean ;)

For lack of know exactly what to call all the internals of the pump, the fins that turn the fluid can get really gunked up and pretty thick sediment can accumlate. On my 1981 the pump was good and I just replaced the control valve, slave cylinder and hoses. But on my buddies 1980 I ended up getting a new pump and installing it along with the other stuff. His pump was full of sediment gunk... FYI you can buy just the pump from a parts store and replace it, the reservoir (tank) for the fluid doesn't need to be replaced, just cleaned up and put back together with the pump ;)

Follow the instructions and safety notes if you have to balance the control valve ;)

The hardest part of this was getting the old control valve off..

Bud

$10 for the P/S pump rebuild kit (seals) at NAPA and a can of paint, and unless the internals are shot, you're good to go.

Alrighty then, thanks for the info all. Next weekend is power steering rebuild/replacement!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom