Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power steering

C

chicagojim

i need to fine tune my pwr.steering control valve[pushes to right slightly on right turns],which way do i turn adjuster nut [CW or CCW]? 75 rstr.

I can't remember, but I can tell you that if you pop the dust cap, jack the front of the car up, you should be able to start the engine and adjust the valve until the front wheels stay straight and centered. Therefore, you may have to turn it left and right until you get it right.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to CAC

I have some experience with this. Go to CorvetteFAQ.com into the steering section and look up the article by Jim Shea on replacing and balancing. What you need to do is balance the control valve.

Jim,
Check this out.

Rare81 said:
First check the power steering fluid level, and what kind of condition it is in. Once you have the correct level and fluid is looking good.. Then,

Looking at the power steering control valve you will see a dust cap and the end of it (facing outward between the hoses) you can pop this dust cap off and there is an adjustment there to balance the control valve operation.

With the front wheels off the ground.. REMOVE the slave piston (shock looking device) from the FRAME bracket and push it all the way retracted..

DO NOT STICK YOU ARM THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL TO START THE CAR!!!

Have someone start the car for you and watch what happens to the slave piston rod.

If the piston rod remains retracted, turn the adjusting nut CLOCKWISE until the rod begins to move out. Then turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE until it just starts to move in... now adjust to somewhere near the middle of these two adjustments.

Same principle if the rod extends when engine is running, just reverse the proceedure above. Once you have the valve balance put the dust cap back on and re-attach the slave piston

BudD
:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom