Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Window Problem

plawrencejr

I have a 1996 Corvette when I press the driver side window switch I hear the motor run but the window doesnot move. Does anyone have a ideal what the problem would be?

Hi,

First of all, welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Secondly, since you said you have a 1996 Corvette, I've moved this to the C4 section.

Thirdly, I don't know what the window problem is, but I'm sure you'll have a few responses from folks who can help. :)

Elaine

Hmm... broken window ribbon?

The motor has a gear that drives a stiff white toothed ribbon. The motor gear is pretty tough, but thte ribbon is plastic and many have been known to break. The good news is that if it is indeed the ribbon, they're cheap: about $25. The bad news is that you have to pull the door panel, the inner sheet metal panel, the bose speaker box, the glass and the window regulator. The motor is held on by rivets, so you'll have to drill. You can either rivet it back on after you replace the ribbon or you can bolt it on instead. It's a good 5 hour job for a driveway mechanic. Simple enough, but many steps. I've done it! Make sure you scribe around the regulator bolts to make reassembly and alignment go quicker. Don't fear it, it's not bad...

Have fun! Trav ;help

Sorry Trav, the toothed belt style is only used in the '84 and '85. In '86 the regulator mechanism got a complete re-design, and doesn't use the belt. Corvette Enthusiast magazine did a good article on the repair of the '84/'85 style in their Sept. '04 issue.

Sorry Trav, the toothed belt style is only used in the '84 and '85. In '86 the regulator mechanism got a complete re-design, and doesn't use the belt. Corvette Enthusiast magazine did a good article on the repair of the '84/'85 style in their Sept. '04 issue.
Correct!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom