Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Windows

S

sac001

On my 80, the Power Windows are always hot. (As in powered) Is this normal? :confused The Haynes Manual I have only shows a typical circuit, that appears to be always powered, and I can't tell by looking at the Assembly Manual. (I haven't ordered the Wiring Diagram yet.)

Any thoughts?

Steve :w

On my 73 and my 90, if you turn the key off the PWs are dead. Have to have the key on to work.

tom...

Steve,
Windows should not be hot with ignition off. If you need a schematic my 82 manual should match up. Let me know if you need it.

Carlo

Steve,

Chances are one of a couple of things.

One, your car did not come with PW and somebody added it. When they did, they eliminated the relay.

Two, the relay has failed in the closed position and you are getting power all the time.

Three, maybe the relay failed years ago, and the prior owner just connected the main power source, thus giving you power all the time.

Believe it or not, I wired the windows in my 69 with power all the time. I can't think of how many times I wanted to lower a window but did not have the key handy. This was a deliberate decision, but could have easily been correct with a ignition on relay.

The relay should be in the center console. You will see two large wires, a ground, and smaller wire for the ignition on excitement.

Good luck

Thanks Chris.

I don't think it's wired wrong, it appears to be correct per the Assembly Manual. I didn't realize that the relay worked as you described, and that sounds like the most likely culprit.

Unfortunately, it will have to wait another week though, I'm off to the UK on business for a few days, but I'll miss the forum!

Cheers :beer

Steve :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom