Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Powerfluid

G

gary b.

Doe's anybody else have this problem ?
The only way i can check the power steering fluid, is to loosen the p.s. belt & push the p.s. pump over to clear the alternator bracket, or i can't get the cap off.(it hits the bottom of the bracket). pretty crazy, huh ?:hb gary.

I don't have a problem...

Miine is an L48, is yours an L82?...and maybe they are set up differently?

I became an old hand at checking and adding ps fluid. Had to pour in fluid every 7-10 days depending on the miles I drove. Took a while to stock up all of the parts to replace everything at once. I tried piece at a time, (twice) but it didn't work...the leak would return.

Anyhow, I have slim arms so maybe that helps me.
I would reach in with my left arm and use the palm of my hand to turn the cap. I recall having to be careful while removing it, because I had to tilt it sharply to clear the stuff up above, and not drop it. Wipe and check as usual...still being careful when installing and removing with that sharp angle. Installing fluid I used a tall funnel.

Good luck with yours. It sounds like quite a pain in the rear!
Silver

Miine is an L48, is yours an L82?...

Mine is an L48, sure looks like the original alt. bracket , can't believe G.M. would let something like this go thru production, but they did some crazy things before!

gotta tilt and finagle mine to get it out too.

Dave

Same with mine.You just have to tilt it to get it around the belt on the alternator. Use a funnel to add the fluid.
I hate the location of the resevoir. It sux. :)

Scott :w

Thank's everyone for your input! I'll try the twistie-bendy's
(i just try'ed pulling straight up).
Anyway, im glad im not alone, i thought i was somekind of wierdo!
we'll, be type talking to you later!.....gary.:TALK

Thank goodness I'm not alone. I have an 81 T-Top Coupe with the same problem. I have checked or should I say tried to check my P/S fluid several times but have never been lucky enough to actually get the lid off. I can "see" somewhat down in the reservoir with the aid of a flashlight?!?!? Thank goodness mine hasn't got a leak!!

:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom