Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Praise for the L98

F

FISHAWK

I have read many a thread on this forum disrespecting my beloved L98,
and folks complaining about the low HP numbers of the stock engines, And cryin' about ricers and such, and I'm just sooo tired of hearing it!
I think what the problem is, is that people are too fixated on the HP numbers and are missing the point of the L98 entirely. The TPI intake
was designed to make low and mid-range torque and it does an excellent
job of it! And If you care to spend a bit, it has lots of potential just waiting to be unleashed. For a street car,it is a great engine!
I guess everyone is caught up in the new HP race, and in most car
commercials they try to impress everyone with peak HP numbers, and that's great, but it is also very misleading,because most owners will never put their pedal down long enough to see it!
Anyway, thank you GM for a GREAT engine! And always remember
folks... at 5252 RPM torque and horsepower numbers are the same!:beer

I believe American Marketing techniques do a good job of spawning all of what goes on in this country. As far as Vette's go, except for headers/exhuast and intakes on the older ones, I leave them in a mostly stock condition. When I look to buy a used Vette, that's what I look for, stock, untouched or modified, and thats what the next guy is looking for also. I don't need the fastest car on the road, I don't imagine myself a Race car driver either. I've always loved Vettes, the look ,the history and the performance. Everybody is different, but from a resale point of veiw, I'll stick with stock. :beer

I've always loved Vettes, the look ,the history and the performance. Everybody is different, but from a resale point of veiw, I'll stick with stock. :beer
:thumb:thumb:thumb
You forgot to mention,They make you look purdy and the girls won't leave you alone!~!! :Steer:lou

:D

more L98

I'll admit that my Vette is no longer stock, but I have only made mods that work with the original concept...Lots-o-Torque!
Comp Cam 212/218 dur. .449/.456 lift 112 lobe sep. this cam was designed to work well in a tuned port engine and doesn't hurt low speed
tractability at all. I also am running a B&M 2400rpm Converter just for
good measure, you just had better be pointing in the direction you want
to go before you put your foot down!:thumb

The L98 is a great engine. It's low end torque is a blast and it can be nodded if needed.

Keep in mind the L98 at its youngest is 20 years old. They run mid to low 14's in the 1/4. Nothing to sneeze at, in my opinion. Torque is the name of the game. The 1960 Corvette was bad-azz back in the day too, now its a classic. Sure with your L98 some stupid "ricers" might be faster, and you might even find a race with a new pickup truck too close. At the end of the day you got a Corvette, when those ricers and such are rotting in a junk yard, your L98 will still be running strong and powering the same Corvette. :beer:beer:beer

The "L98" is not really an engine as much as it is an induction system. Technically, yes, it is an engine. But the TPI induction system really determines the characteristics of the engine. Just as the LB9 is for the 305.

I concur. For its intended purpose, it (TPI) does a great job.

CG

I learned decades ago, a few things.

1) am driving a Corvette and need prove nothing to anyone,
2) as a Vette driver, be polite to other drivers; a good example,
3) never put down another's Corvette. This board is quite good at that,
4) I can get the car to go as fa$t a$ I wi$h, straight or in a corner'.

The car has done quite well in the market considering the lack of dollars spent on advertising.It has also been a target for the competition. It also does very well in completion, despite the bean-counter takeover of American companies.

My '84 gave me a new respect for American engineering; second to none. After I put more power in the car, solved the related overheating, electrical et. al. problems, I appreciated that Chevy designed one hell of a car that had none of those issues, yet performed better each year and with less problems that the much higher dollar 'exotics'. I've owned multiple examples of crappy German and other foreign engineering.

I am glad to enjoy my and YOUR Corvette, as you do.

Nothing man-made is perfect.:w

I agree with WhalePirot...

I own a Corvette....thats all need be said.
I drive my Corvette, I can;t ask for more.
I've had a Corvette for 25 years. All during the best, most active, adventurous days of my life.
I've taken advantage of the "Corvette Lifestyle" and all manner of perks that come along with it....and learned a long time ago to always keep the passenger seat clean.;)

My L98 was a work of art when they gave me the keys. I became comfortable with its power and decided to find more. Mine goes very fast now when I can afford the good gas, as fast as the next generation and even some of the one after that. It may not be as new, but the other guys have to say theirs isn't as quick some days. Its all relative.

I never put down another Corvette even though there were a few years of arogant C5 owners doing that to me. Now someone else new to the "club" is doing that to them...:D Corvette Karma hard at work.

Best part of all......

My Corvette is PAID FOR.:happyanim:

There is nothing about this car that I do not LOVE !

One last comment

I am sure glad to see that some people agree with me on this subject,
and I agree that a Corvette is a Corvette... is a Corvette, and I wish
everyone would remember that all Corvettes have their place in history,
regardless of performance level, because the C5 really was an improvement
(in some ways) over the C4,and historically this has always been the case,
each new version should improve the pedigree, it's one of the reasons
Corvettes have always been Dream cars!
Anyway in a big way,I'm Glad the Price of C4 Vettes dropped to the
point that I could afford one! ...Maybe I should thank all the Haters!:v

Anyway in a big way,I'm Glad the Price of C4 Vettes dropped to the
point that I could afford one! ...Maybe I should thank all the Haters!:v

They said the same for the C3 Vett in it day but now Others want them the C4 one day will be the same.

So when this happens we be on top we seen the futrue before they did.

I had a 1997 Ford Power Stroke diesel F350 truck, before everyone figuered out Diesel trucks are the way to go.

My '89 Corvette

My '89 is all the car I need. It's a blast to drive and cruise and it's red. It's stock except for the exhaust and I gotta admit it sounds pretty cool.

my '88 is bone stock...hoping to qualify for a top-flight...I love my vette just that way but also appreciate someone who changes theirs to their own liking,I still give the wave to ANY vette I pass on the road and to be honest having a 23 yr old car that still turns heads and gets compliments at a gas station is all I could hope for...hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I do mine!!

Attachments

• Niagara Parkway & Harvest Moon 014.jpg
    Niagara Parkway & Harvest Moon 014.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 60
If it is good enough for Heidi Fliess it's good enough for me.

When everything is dialed in, the L98's are great runners....and like the others have said, I'm glad I own a piece of 'vette history and progression. No mater what generation, they're all great cars.....:beer

In 1960 My dad got a new Corvette with the 283 power pack option and a three speed manual transmission. He and I went on to put 250,000miles on that car and it was a blast. During that time I drove it on the same road everyday around the same corner until I had perfected my technique and thought that 43MPH was as fast as you could ever take that particular corner. Today I still go around the same corner in my C4 (also still stock) comfortable at 50 and if I push it I can be pretty close to 70 MPH. As stated by others the Corvette is a work in progress by GM and it just gets better. Each configuration of engine and transmission and suspension was a tribute to there engineering skills. Just as the L98 is noted for being a torque r so also the LT1 is noted for being a free revving engine. If I were still young and looking for an auto cross car I would look for an L98 car. If I lived out in the wide open spaces of straight long roads I would want an LT1 car with the torque up higher in the speed range. Back on the 1960 Corvette yes it was a chick magnet and I have been married to her for 50 years now. :v

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom