Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[Press] CALLAWAY C16 CONVERTIBLE MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT 2007 NEW YORK AUTO SHOW

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
CALLAWAY C16 CONVERTIBLE MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT 2007 NEW YORK AUTO SHOW

World-Class Supercar Performance, Now Available in a Paddle Shifted Convertible

OLD LYME, CONNECTICUT (March 16, 2007) – Callaway Cars today announced it will unveil the C16 Convertible – the company’s latest variant in an impressive lineup of exclusive, hand-built ultra-high-performance automobiles – at the New York International Auto Show.

Based on the current Chevrolet Corvette platform, the C16 convertible takes performance, style and open-air motoring to the next level, giving buyers an opportunity to experience premium supercar performance in a convertible, complete with the ease of a 6-speed, paddle-shift automatic transmission.

“Customers who want the exhilaration of a convertible and the daily driver convenience of a paddle-shift automatic without sacrificing the performance capabilities of a Z06 and beyond, can only get it here,” says company founder Reeves Callaway. “With this car we have maintained the C16’s class-leading performance, while creating a gorgeous convertible version, based on one of the best sports car platforms ever made. In true Callaway tradition it incorporates our race-proven technologies and superlative craftsmanship in an arresting and appealing style.”

The C16 Convertible, like the C16 Coupe, was drawn and modeled by designer Paul Deutschman, who has a twenty-year portfolio of Callaway designs. Architect of the Callaway look – from its 254 mph Sledgehammer and Corvette-based Le Mans race cars to the current C16 versions – he has masterfully remodeled the original design, redrawing every panel of the standard body to achieve the C16 Convertible’s integrated look while retaining the Corvette’s easy-to-operate power top.

Equipped with Callaway’s 560-hp supercharged 6.0-liter V8, the C16 Convertible is also available with an optional Performance Package that delivers 616 supercharged horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 582 lb-ft of torque at 4,750 rpm. The Callaway C16 Convertible does 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds, and a quarter-mile in 11.2 seconds. Top speed of the paddle shifted convertible is estimated at just over 200 mph. Equally impressive is its fuel efficiency rating of 18 city/28 highway. It is emissions compliant and backed by a 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

There are three transmission options on the Callaway C16 Convertible: two 6-speed manual transmissions (one incorporating the Z51 Performance Package’s shorter ratios in the first four gears), or a 6-speed automatic with paddle shift. The Callaway C16 Convertible, like C16 Coupe, delivers the feeling of a fully integrated driver’s car, maintaining the company’s legendary hallmark of easy-to-drive, super high-performance road cars, now available with the added pleasure of top-down motoring.

Inside, the C16 convertible’s cockpit is completely retooled in fine German leather and Alcantara, featuring seats with a choice of harnessing styles manufactured for Callaway by Recaro. Door sill panels, steering wheel and passenger dash area also carry signature Callaway badging. Each automobile is serialized and identified by its build plaque. Each C16 convertible is built to order. Clients choose body and top color and interior appointments to individual taste.

The car’s razor-sharp handling and comfortable ride are courtesy of newly developed Callaway/Eibach Multi-Pro coil-over suspension. This advanced spring/damper system features ride height, corner weight, and pitch angle adjustability. The aluminum-bodied dampers feature 10-click-position compression and rebound adjustability and have remote mounted reservoirs, allowing the driver to customize settings for track or road conditions.

To bring the Callaway C16 Convertible from 200+ mph to rest, the C16 utilizes a Stoptech brake system developed exclusively for Callaway using 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers gripping 355mm diameter rotors. Super-lightweight Callaway Dymag wheels - the lightest road wheel in the industry - measure 19” x 10” front and 20” x 12” rear. The Dymag wheel features forged magnesium centers surrounded by carbon fiber rims - another example of Callaway bringing their race experience to their road cars. Yokohama “AdvanSport” 285/30ZR19 (front) and 325/25ZR20 (rear) tires complete the package.

Pricing for a fully loaded C16 Convertible is $128,765 USD. All Callaway C16 Convertible components are available individually, for both new and currently owned Corvettes, through Callaway authorized retailers and installers.
Callaway C16 automobiles are built by Callaway facilities in California, Connecticut, and Germany. The Callaway C16 Convertible is available exclusively through Callaway Cars’ authorized dealer network. For additional information on Callaway Cars, its automobiles and dealer locations, call 860-434-9002 or visit www.callawaycars.com

attachment.php

That convertible looks great. I wished they would have used the Aerobody tail lights.

I like the interior, but from this angle, I'm not liking the (for lack of a better word) tonneau. I'll have to see it at a different angle.

That is so cool...

I wish I could make the NY Auto Show and see it up close and personal but I have a few trips in that same time frame. I have not finalized them but if its at all possible, I'll try to swing by.

-Luigi
:cool

Hey Luigi Carmine's has a table for you if you are heading up.
That is so cool...

I wish I could make the NY Auto Show and see it up close and personal but I have a few trips in that same time frame. I have not finalized them but if its at all possible, I'll try to swing by.

-Luigi
:cool

Callaway Cabrio

Hope this isn't a repost.............

Very sharp looking.

From Leftlane News

Callaway Cars today announced it will unveil the C16 Cabrio, the company’s convertible variant of the limited production C16, at the New York International Auto Show.

To create the C16, Callaway integrated powertrain, brakes and suspension enhancements into the current Chevrolet Corvette platform. Six-speed manual or paddle-shift automatic transmissions are available with either standard 560 or optional 616 horsepower engines.
The C16 Cabrio, like the C16 Coupe, was drawn and modeled by designer Paul Deutschman who has a twenty-year portfolio of Callaway designs.
“With this car, we’ve maintained the C16’s class-leading performance, while creating a gorgeous ‘Cabrio’ version, based on one of the best sports car platforms available anywhere,” says company founder Reeves Callaway. “In true Callaway tradition, it incorporates our race-proven technologies, painstaking testing and validation efforts, and expert craftsmanship in an arresting and appealing style.”
The C16’s Callaway-supercharged 6.0L engine provides world-class power, producing 560 bhp at 6,200 rpm and 529 lb-ft of torque at 4,750 rpm. The optional 616 HP Performance Package raises the bar to 616 bhp and 582 lb-ft of torque, propelling the paddle-shifted Cabrio from 0-to-60 in 3.5 seconds. Quarter-mile acceleration tests consistently record low 11-second elapsed times. Maximum speed of the C16 Cabrio is estimated at just over 200 mph. Equally impressive is its fuel efficiency rating of 18 city/28 highway. Callaway’s warranty covers the equipment for 5 years or 100,000 miles.
Inside the C16 cockpit, door sill panels, dash pad, and steering wheel are upgraded and carry signature Callaway badging. The optional “Deutschleder” package completely retools the interior in fine German leather and Alcantara, featuring seats manufactured for Callaway by Recaro. Clients choose exterior and interior colors to suit individual taste. Each C16 Cabrio is built to order, serialized and identified by its build plaque.
The handling precision of the C16 is courtesy of the newly developed Callaway/Eibach Multi-Pro coil-over suspension. This joint development effort produced an advanced spring/damper system, featuring 10-position compression and rebound adjustability, allowing the driver to customize settings for specific track or road conditions. The sophisticated design provides excellent response while avoiding racecar-like rough ride characteristics.
To bring the C16 Cabrio from 200+ mph to rest, Callaway utilizes a StopTech brake system featuring 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers gripping 355mm x 32 mm rotors.
Callaway/Dymag wheels weigh approximately half that of their aluminum counterparts, providing significantly reduced unsprung weight for improved acceleration, cornering and braking. These TUV- and DOT-certified wheels feature forged magnesium spiders surrounded by carbon fiber rims and measure 19” by 10” front and 20” by 12” rear. Another of Callaway’s technology partners, Yokohama Tire, developed their “AdvanSport” specifically for the C16 in 285/30ZR19 front and 325/25ZR20 rear sizes.
Pricing for the C16 Cabrio starts at $128,765 USD. Callaway C16 components are also available individually for 2005 - 2007 Corvettes through Callaway authorized retailers and installers.

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/1-callaway-c16-cabrio.jpg

Woo! Big picture!
1-callaway-c16-cabrio.jpg

I noticed Callawaycars.com has some high resolution orange coupe C16 pictures as well. Very cool, I'm glad they have those available for download. :cool:upthumbs

Cool, I look forward to downloading them. :cool

Bravo Bravo.....

Thanx for the pics Chris......My hat is off to the boys at Callaway....looks like I need to make a vert now!!!

Oh man oh man, that's BEAUTIFUL. Maaaaaaaaaan! :W

That interior is VERY good looking, and the car looks incredible in silver. I am having future C8 plan ideas as I type this...

This is the one

I just spent some time inspecting the photos of the Cabrio. I looked at them over and over, each time I would notice curves and lines coming together in a way that could only be described as synergistic. Mr. Deutschman has certainly out done himself on this one. This piece of artwork has "The Look" , I applaud everyone involved with the creation of this ageless masterpiece. GREAT JOB! -Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom