Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[Press] New and Improved: Updated Corvette C5-R breaks cover

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
From AutoWeek Magazine

(15:20 March 31, 2003)
New and Improved: Updated Corvette C5-R breaks coverp

Chevy's updated Corvette C5-R features a new paint scheme, revised engine internals, and for the first time, a sequential gearbox.

General Motors, while keeping a close eye on its American Le Mans Series GTS competition, is updating the Corvette C5-R for Le Mans in an attempt to secure three-straight victories at Le Sarthe.

Besides a new and obvious red, white and blue paint scheme (changed from yellow), technically speaking the two cars get a sequential Hewland gearbox for the first time. Other changes include a new engine intake and air box, new cams with a higher lift and shorter duration, all-aluminum cylinder liners and main caps, and revised aerodynamics. And the cars will carry the numbers 50 and 53 (for the Corvette’s 50th anniversary and for its first year of production, 1953).

Meanwhile, the Corvette race car gets an all-new look for the 2005 season. The next-generation Corvette (the C6 that goes on sale at the end of next year) and the following season’s GTS racers take styling from those new vehicles.

Underneath, however, Chevrolet’s race car will be little altered from today’s racer. “It will be a facelift,” said Corvette program manager Doug Fehan. “We will run the same chassis and running gear, but the body will be different.” Chevrolet, meanwhile, firmed up its intent to continue racing the Corvette for the next three years.

I wonder if we might be seeing some insight on what the C6 is going to be getting... IE sequential gearbox????
Great info, thanks for the update... #s 50 / 53 very nice touch!

Stan

Ya know, every time I look at your avatar I want to hand you a roll of paper so you finally get up and go drive that vette... ;LOL ;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom