Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Price appreciation of C5's?

Jim Z06

Corvette
2002 Torch red Z06
When do you think the price of the C5's (especially the Z06) will start appreciating?

When do you think the price of the C5's (especially the Z06) will start appreciating?
About 30-50 years,Too many made,C4's are still dropping now!~!!:thumb

:D

It's been my observation that, on average, it takes 20-30 years before vehicles start 'turning the corner' in value, so to speak. That's for a typical model that has no other distinguishing characteristics, and has been very well kept. If there's some kind of rarity involved (limited production run, etc.), it will take less time. The '98 Pace Cars already tend to bring something of a small price premium; and I paid extra for my '98 Aztec Gold coupe (and all of those which have recently sold have brought more money than a 'standard' '98 C5).

About 30-50 years,Too many made,C4's are still dropping now!~!!:thumb

:D

Sad, but true. There are a lot of C5s out there, and not any truly limited edition or special interest cars, except the pace cars. Drive the hell out of them now, while you can. ;)

Roadsters's Rule!

LS6RoadsterOldRoute66-5.jpg

It's been my observation that, on average, it takes 20-30 years before vehicles start 'turning the corner' in value, so to speak. That's for a typical model that has no other distinguishing characteristics, and has been very well kept. If there's some kind of rarity involved (limited production run, etc.), it will take less time. The '98 Pace Cars already tend to bring something of a small price premium; and I paid extra for my '98 Aztec Gold coupe (and all of those which have recently sold have brought more money than a 'standard' '98 C5).

Very well said, if you look at a low mileage original 1980 vette, since 2005 they were selling at about what they sold for new. IMO any low mileage vette that passes 20 years old will start to stabilize and then begin to appreciate.

Appreciation ??

Jim,

The appreciation should have started when you bought the car ..... Oh, you mean money.

When I go to cruise-ins and car shows I sometimes put a sign in the window that states, "This car is not actively for sale, however if it really strikes your fancy
give me a reasonable number to think about ....... you never know".

Sometimes location, circumstance and the right person can give you a profit out of the blue.

In Fla. you probably can drive your car all year long so enjoy it in good health .... and "Save the wave".

Bill :w

Jim,

The appreciation should have started when you bought the car ..... Oh, you mean money.

When I go to cruise-ins and car shows I sometimes put a sign in the window that states, "This car is not actively for sale, however if it really strikes your fancy
give me a reasonable number to think about ....... you never know".

Sometimes location, circumstance and the right person can give you a profit out of the blue.

In Fla. you probably can drive your car all year long so enjoy it in good health .... and "Save the wave".

YEP I agree with this 100%- If I had bought this car as an investment, I would go crazy! I bought it to drive, I have waited tooooooooooo long for mine! I walk out to the garage at all hours of the day, and sometimes at night, just to stare at it! The only investment value here is I invested in ME! and my joy of driving my 'Vette! It may sound corny, but this car gives me something money can not buy!

Appreciation

YEP I agree with this 100%- If I had bought this car as an investment, I would go crazy! I bought it to drive, I have waited tooooooooooo long for mine! I walk out to the garage at all hours of the day, and sometimes at night, just to stare at it! The only investment value here is I invested in ME! and my joy of driving my 'Vette! It may sound corny, but this car gives me something money can not buy!

Tex,

It took 45 years to get my first Corvette (a C4) and now I'm on my second (a C5) and I'm not letting go !!

Very well said, if you look at a low mileage original 1980 vette, since 2005 they were selling at about what they sold for new. IMO any low mileage vette that passes 20 years old will start to stabilize and then begin to appreciate.

But then again, that was a car that was never enjoyed!:)
There's something to be said for buying something new and driving it.
I had my head on a swivel every time I took my LT-1 out, and never actually got to enjoy it the way I should have.

Sad, but true. There are a lot of C5s out there, and not any truly limited edition or special interest cars, except the pace cars. Drive the hell out of them now, while you can. ;)

I agree with most of the answers. Tim was on target. You just don't buy a C5 with visions of appreciation. You buy them to drive and enjoy! Basically we will not see any significant appreciation in our lifetimes (unless you are under 30 and even then it is debatable). Catbert is right on with his advice about driving the hell out of them (like he usually is). However as much as I hate to disagree with Catbert I would debate the point about special interest cars. The Fixed Roof Coupe was produced only in 1999 and 2000 as a forerunner to the Z06. There were less than 6100 produced. And there very well may not have been a Z06 if not for the FRC (you have to know how tenuous it was getting this car built as it was). Not that they will appreciate in the near future, however, in the long run due to their somewhat limited numbers, years of production, and the fact that many of these cars have been beaten up, if you have a good one and keep it in good condition, it is my opinion that these will be the C5's that potentially could appreciate. :lou

The Fixed Roof Coupe was produced only in 1999 and 2000 as a forerunner to the Z06. There were less than 6100 produced. And there very well may not have been a Z06 if not for the FRC (you have to know how tenuous it was getting this car built as it was). Not that they will appreciate in the near future, however, in the long run due to their somewhat limited numbers, years of production, and the fact that many of these cars have been beaten up, if you have a good one and keep it in good condition, it is my opinion that these will be the C5's that potentially could appreciate.

That has nothing to do with you owning one of these is it? :L

I still doubt mine going to appreciate anytime soon, I got real lucky, got my 03 with 33K on the clock, and paid less than 20 grand. With that in mind, I plan on "slowing" the process of the car losing money. Just take care of it as best as I can, and have fun driving it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom