Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Problem after installing C5 Headlight Rebuild Kit on 2002

Jacques Roth

Corvette
1991 ZR-1 Black, 2002 Red Coupe
I got Rodney Dickman's excellent kit for my 2002, but I must have made a mistake putting the headlight motor or linkage back. I put the assembly into the car and gave it a try. The light closed most of the way, but will not reopen either manually or electrically. It moves up and down a little (I think in the reverse direction it is supposed to be going), but will not open enough now to get tools in to remove the assembly again, even if I tug on the headlight while using the manual crank.
Any idea what I may have done wrong? Or how to fix this? I wonder if taking the fascia panel and brake cooling duct off from the bottom may give me enough access or if there is something simple I can do from the top.

Headlight linkage

I installed this kit to, I also had a problem,, I caused the problem, the linkage isn't installed correctly, on the linkage that attaches to the motor, it is slotted, look at the other headlight to see how it goes. It's kind of tricky, mine works great now, I installed it about a year ago.

i fixed mine from the top, remove black plastic around headlight and the painted top headlight cover. That's how I did mine. Turn off headlights and crank it up manually. Some headlight motors will try to close if the engine isn't running.

Linkage was installed wrong

I got it working last night, thanks. The linkage was installed wrong, there are two possible ways to install it and only one works right. Rodney said he had not heard of other customers having the same problem. It was my fault, the directions said to look at it and put it back the same way, I only worked on one light and couldn't see the linkage on the other. The bent part of the bracket should pass over the rubber bumper stops as you open and close the headlight and the short part of the bracket should contact the stops on the side closest to the rear of the car. I'd advise anyone to be really careful about this and operate the headlight on the assembly before putting it back into the car and make sure the direction you turn the manual control to raise the light corresponds to the way it worked before removal and/or to the way the other headlight works.

My biggest problem was the light was only partially open and I could not get tools in. I had enough access to try to loosen some of the 3 bolts holding the motor to the frame. I got one loose for sure and when turning the other while trying to hold the nut with a screwdriver (could not get a wrench in), the light started to come up and I raised it enough to get tools in and the assembly out. Perhaps this may work for someone else also.

Anyhow, the light works great now, no noises or failure to raise. It is not the kit's fault (perhaps the directions could warn about this potential problem) but the factory manual does not either when it explains how to replace the headlight motor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom