Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Problems with 85 C4

luminaughty

Corvette
1985 coupe
Still learning as this is my first Corvette. First the car has a automatic and shifts out way to fast when taking off slow. It will shift all the way to overdrive before I reach 30 mph. I tried to manually shift the automatic but as soon as I shift into second it automatically shifts through all the gears way to fast. Second everything works on the digital dash but it is so dim It is hard to see but today when I drove it was bright and clear but later in the day on another drive it was dim again. I am wanting to get all the mechanical issues fixed before I work on the cosmetic restoration.

Based on the limited amount of information posted, you may have a problem with your transmission. If you are a DIY, acquire a copy of the Factory Service Manual and diagnose the trans operation according to what you read in that manual. If you're not a DIY, find a good automatic transmission service facility and have them assess the condition of the trans.

i agree with the above - get a FSM. hopefully all you need is a TV cable adjustment. it's outlined and detailed in the FSM (section 7A), however several sources of information are available on-line, including youtube. here's where google is your friend. in a nutshell, the TV cable controls line pressures, shift points, shift feel, part throttle downshifts and detent downshifts. proper adjustment cures most 700R4 shifting issues - if not, you may have to drop the pan for some minor maintenance. again, outlined and detailed in the FSM. :thumb

here's a good starting point - Adjusting TV Cables - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine -

on to the digital dash, again go to youtube - "corvette digital dash." there are a series of videos - i'm thinking about 10 on everything from removal to repair. YouTube - or - (www.batee.com) - you just might have an issue with the instrument panel's light sensor. easy fix or Bryan can repair as needed.

whether you do the work yourself or farm it out, educate yourself first, only then proceed.

Last edited:
Its gona take awhile to get the hang of the 700r4 shift points as your rt foot controls most of em. Get it up to 55mph,the tach should be right in the 1500 mark,your in 4th od then. or should be. Let the car coast, foot of the go pedal,as the car slows you should feel the trans unlock. Then get it back up to 4th od ,foot of the gas ,then hit the brake,the trans should unlock again. If these 2 things happens then the lower gears shroud be fine.If it dont then some adjustments as mentioned of the TV cable etc. The pevvious owner,owners could of done somethen also.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom