Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Professional pride does it still exist?

69_coupe

I recently sold a Chevy pick-up, as part payment I got a 1978 Corvette. The Vette was imported
from USA last summer and is in good unrestored condition. It came with new carpet, seat covers,
seat foam, door panels, weatherstrips and glass T-top. All things considers I think it was a
good deal. I've not yet decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it, but anyway I've put some hours into
changing the interior. The carpet was soaking wet due to water leakages, first I thought it came from bad
weatherstrips, the winshield was changed last year (somewhere in Michigan). Since rusty
window frame is a common problem I decided to inspect it....With just light pressure I was able
to push the windshield out about 1/2 inch, if the car was ever used in rain it must have been
like sitting in a shower. WHY can't people do a proper job? The frame was of course rusted, and
they had not even cared to clean it from old glue. I had to change both upper corners, except for that some cleaning and paint did the job.
A few hours work and it will last another 30 years. Again why can't the job be done right the first time,
and where has the professional pride gone?:confused

The only things that comes to mind is if the car is to bad to restore try to sell it and act like nothing is wrong. (sorry to say). I hope it isn't the case but did you also check other parts. Most of the times the lower corners of the windowframe are the real problem and $$ to fix.
So maybe no pride but why aren't they honest about the car? :(
Good luck!

Groeten Peter

Sorry to hear that, but we're not all hackers and crooks over here. I've seen plenty of poor work myself, not caused by a mistake but just carelessness or ignorance.
Good luck with your 69.

...why can't the job be done right the first time,
and where has the professional pride gone?:confused
...because not every Corvette owner is a professional. Some are just people with money to burn. Some just like the car for it's looks. Some buy it as a status symbol. And some owners are "Bubba" or let "Bubba" perform all the work on their car.

I'm no professional, but I have professionals work on my car. It costs money. Sometimes a lot :eek:hnoes. Not everyone chooses to have their Corvette maintained by a professional. ;shrug

Sorry to hear that, but we're not all hackers and crooks over here. I've seen plenty of poor work myself, not caused by a mistake but just carelessness or ignorance.
Good luck with your 69.

I'm sorry if gave the impression that poor work or lack of professional pride was an american problem, that was absolutely not my intention. I think that has become a global problem, and in more professions than car mechanics.

I'm sorry if gave the impression that poor work or lack of professional pride was an american problem, that was absolutely not my intention. I think that has become a global problem, and in more professions than car mechanics.

I didn't take your post as a slam against Americans in particular, but as a question lamenting the passing of pride in one's workmanship, ownership, etc.

I think there are as many reasons for that as there are Corvettes. ;) And I would have to agree with all the reasons mentioned already.

Sometimes it's ignorance, carelessness, lack of funds and , yes, even intentionally cutting corners - either by the owner, or the shop the owner chose to do the work. Sometimes the culprit is either time or money.

Like 'dre I pay to have my Corvette maintained and repaired. I simply don't have the skills, tools or shop to do it myself. I'm very fortunate that I have good people working on mine and they do still take pride in their work.

I'm glad to hear another one has been rescued. Good luck with it and post photos of your progress.

:wJane Ann

It's sad when a pro has no pride in his work. I try to take as much pride as I can in my job (IT) and home/car projects. I'm far from being a mechanic and for the most part I know my limits and when to let a pro take over. However, there isn't a feeling like a job well done when it's done yourself and I get a rush off of that. But to half-ass it just to get something out the door is just wrong.
This reminds me that I need to get back to work on the interior replacement on the vette :)

I can only hope that the poor work was done by the OWNER or a friend of the Owner of the Vette and not a "pro" that the owner paid.

But I would have to say that anymore, it is REALLY hard to find a good pro for little money. Anyone that is any good will cost a lot of $$$.

Hopefully you can get your issues taken care of for little $$$ if you can do it yourself and do a good job (of course). ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom