Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Programmer use

sincro

Corvette
1965 coupe, and a 2001 coupe
Does anyone have any experience with performance programmers and the C5? I just bought a 2001 coupe with the standard LS1 engine and automatic transmission and all the other standard stuff you get on one. The performance is impressive now as is the fuel economy. Do these programmers really improve the mileage or just make the computer think they do? If the car is going to be used for touring, do I really need the enhanced performance?

The guy I bought the car from, has a Preditor (sic) programmer he offered to sell me for $250 and I am not sure if I needed or want it or not. I can take a C2 apart blindfolded but the C5 is all new to me.

Any kind of piggy is for performance. If we are running normal emissions, we run in a stoic fuel trim about 17.1 for cruising. If we step up on rpm, we proportion up the rpm scale and all we follow is that analog fuel trim is that the more foot to the floor, the less voltage the more fuel; think in those terms.

So, hey we are working the mouse and we can work the keyboard. So we are killing more cats is more or less think in some generic what that piggy is doing for fuel economy.

Lets say he has that piggy fuel cut and triggered more fuel to the 17 to 1 is more toward a fat gas guzzling 13 or 12 to 1 hot rod the bottom end cruise is now stump pulling power is you added more heat and heat is pressure and fuel is needed cause you can't burn air is keep it simple.

If he has some chip or software, your best bet is to pull that aftermarket or see if you can get a free download and shut the thing off if you can.

Then you are back to your stock best mileage/best stock performance for your trip. Then you can turn it back on and beat the locals where you live.

1. Lean is mean is 17:1.
2. Power is heat is you need the fuel source is more fuel you lower that number is plan your gas stops not the scenery.

For your 2001 and the way you drive any kind of programmer isn't going to offer much if any performance or mileage increase. About the only advantage, provided this Preditor can change the fan on temps, might be a slight improvement in cooling.

A hand held programmer such as the Predator will mostly improve the seat of the pants performance. The biggest change is probably the shift points and rev limiter in an automatic which would not apply to the kind of driving you mentioned. If anything it might decrease your millage. If he had the program loaded he should give you the unit since it is already programed for that car and can't be readily used on another vehicle, plus you might have to return it to stock for emission reasons (original program should have been saved in units memory).
Changing the fan on/off temperature threshold does little to nothing as you are still running the same thermostat which is not controlled by the computer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom