Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Proper Detailing Materials

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
The following is a response from Sal Zaino, the owner of Zaino Brothers Wax Products in response to an inquiry about the use of baby diapers for waxing. I thought his response was 100% accurate and extremely informative. Enjoy!

Cotton baby diapers are fine. As long as they are Gerber or equivalent 100% Cotton Made in USA. Watch out for diapers that are Made in Russia. Do not use them....they will scratch...

I prefer 100% Cotton Towels(Made in the USA) Cannon or Fieldcrest name brand. Towels have a soft nap and are more forgiving than diapers if you pick up dirt or particulates. The nap will help not let any dirt particulates, scratch your paint. The diapers are not as friendly....

To remove polish I always use 100% Made in the USA. High quality, Brand name towels. Example Cannon or Filedcrest. I always use Bath towels. Make sure you cut the stitching off the edge of the towel. Most other Brand name towels

I've analyzed are not 100% Cotton but a blend of cotton and polyester. Even though they say 100% Cotton they are not. Sorry...

Auto store towels and packaged towels are not 100% cotton, although they say 100% cotton they are NOT!!! The cotton material is from overseas and is not federally regulated. It is usually 60% cotton and a 40% blend of polyester and nylon. This will definetly scratch the paint finish. If a towel says made in Pakistan or Bangladesh, etc, throw it out.

Most of the towels K-Mart, Walmart or Auto stores sells are not the high quality Cannon towels. But a lower quality towel. Sorry that I am so anal, but I only want the best for your paint.

I go to a Bath and Linen shop in any Mall or Department store. That's where you'll find the Cannon or Fieldcrest Brand.

The Large White Cannon or Fieldcrest cost about $10 to $16.00 each. Well worth the investment. They should last about a year. If the towels are $6.00 something is wrong! You must use only white. Not colored towels.....

Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softner. They will leave a chemical residue in the towels which will transfer to your paint finish and also cause tiny swirls and scratches..

Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages(borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Thank You,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
http://www.zainobros.com

towels

You can check whether towels are all cotton or not by burning a corner. If it turns black and shrivels up it has some type of plastic in it, ie nylon, polyester, etc. If it just burns away it is genuine cotton. Also interestingly enough, I have discovered something else about towels completely by accident. If you can find some of the red shop towels that are all cotton, they make killer bug removing rags - and if they are all cotton they will not scratch your paint. They require very little pressure if you keep the little vermin wet.

Re: Here is a great link!

Tanzanite3 said:

I searched for Cannon/Fieldcrest towels at all the discount stores around, to no avail. (I don't do malls). Then I ordered some from the link above- I ordered Saturday, they just arrived today (Wednesday)...quick turnaround. These towels are nicer than the ones in my bathrooms!
I also recommend this site, thank for the tip.

• Admin
Hmmm.....did you happen to check at a store like Sears, Target, or K-Mart for these towels?

I checked Target & Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohls, Linens & Things. I didn't check Sears (the issue with the malls).

Thanks for the input on cotton towels and link--pays to buy the best
John :upthumbs

MrsSchroder said:
I checked Target & Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohls, Linens & Things. I didn't check Sears (the issue with the malls).

Come on now Tammy, you don't have to walk into the mall to walk into Sears:eyerole. Afterall, how else does one get Craftsman tools:D.

Back on topic, I wash my towels a few times before using them on the cars. I like 'em broken in and soft;).

- Eric:w

corvettecrazy said:
why don't colored towels work??

Probably because the color may transfer...and also if it is a colored towel you can't see what is coming off of your surface.
Heidi

Well,I just learned a lot about towels. I wish I knew that 3 hours ago bought Hometex 100% Cotton towels and Cotton Terry Applicator Pads and guess what.....:r Towels made in Pakistan & pads made in El Salvaor.:mad :mad Oh well, guess they will be used on my Cavalier.:( Janine

I've been denied access to the above Canon/Fieldcrest link-does anyone have a web address where I can order these 100% American made white towets?

towel purchase

daved said:
I've been denied access to the above Canon/Fieldcrest link-does anyone have a web address where I can order these 100% American made white towets?
I had the same problem - denied access. Pretty exclusive site!

I don't know if this is true, but I had heard those Fieldcrest towels were not going to be available any longer. Maybe that's why the link doesn't work. ;shrug

One thing about the Fieldcrest towels: They're very soft when you receive them. In fact, they felt as though there was softener in them - not very absorbent. After I washed them a couple of times, they were great!!

Those micro towels are great, too! I'm really impressed with them. Thanks, Leo!! :cool

Just use a leaf blower

You don't even have to touch the car and there is no mess or clean up in laundry.

Made is the USA towels are far and few

Most of the ones I have come across are from Egypt and they cost alot too. Went to Bathroom & Beyond which is a speciality store in these types of products.
I will stick with the micro fiber towels as they do a good job especially on glass. Better yet a leaf blower then you don't even have to touch the finish but the noise and the vibration of the blower can be harmful take warning on this as one of my fingers is still numb from using it over a month ago.:mad

I had a hard time finding the towels Sal mentioned in his products. It was tough to find the old baby diaper type cloths until a lady in the fabric section of Wal Mart stated to use 100% cotton flannel cloth. After looking at it and had a section cut off for me to use, I have not looked back or have a desire to use any other type of cloth to remove the Z5 product I apply. I have a different cloth I used to remove Z5, do not use the Z2 PRO, personal choice, I have two cloths I used for Z6 and/or Z8.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom