Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pull key wait 10 sec. after K harness install

mvvette97

Corvette
1997 black c5 corvette
I just installed a k harness and now about every other time I start it that message shows up. Anybody have a clue? It was fine before I installed it.

mvvette97 said:
I just installed a k harness and now about every other time I start it that message shows up. Anybody have a clue? It was fine before I installed it.

Look in your owners manual under steering column lock it tells you what to do. I don't remember exactly but if you put your key back in before you wait 10 secs you will get this message.

A lot of the relays were found to be defective. I ordered my 3rd one today (not installed yet). If you really want to make sure the relay is the culprit, check for ground on the green wire (circuit 1601) when ‘unlock’ or +12v when ‘Lock’. That green wire is the one that sends the Lock-unlock message to the BCM since its role is to bypass the original ECL switch signal.

I have this message from time to time. Tonight I removed the panel under the steering column. I attached the relay at a convenient place. I will drive the car like that for a little while. Next time it appends, I will check for ground or voltage on green wire on the spot since the relay is easy to access and I have the multimeter in the car. That will tell me if the relay is the problem. If I do not get a ground signal or I see +12v on green wire when I get the ‘pull key’ msg, that means the relay is not doing its job.

You can see on picture that you can easily probe the green and black wire from the back of the relay.

That could also be the key pellet, but same as you, I got this problem only since the harness was installed. So I would say this is related to the relay.

On a side note. I got the recall information and the diagram from this forum on that link : http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=236

Picture of relay located at a place I will be able to diagnose on the spot.
LockRelay12v.JPG

Picture of the relay on the driver floor. Sorry for the picture in B&W. I forgot to turn the color option on camera....
LockRelayProbeBW.JPG

vette747-
Excellent post- nice work and very helpful :upthumbs

Tammy

vette747 said:
A lot of the relays were found to be defective. I ordered my 3rd one today (not installed yet). If you really want to make sure the relay is the culprit, check for ground on the green wire (circuit 1601) when ‘unlock’ or +12v when ‘Lock’. That green wire is the one that sends the Lock-unlock message to the BCM since its role is to bypass the original ECL switch signal.

I have this message from time to time. Tonight I removed the panel under the steering column. I attached the relay at a convenient place. I will drive the car like that for a little while. Next time it appends, I will check for ground or voltage on green wire on the spot since the relay is easy to access and I have the multimeter in the car. That will tell me if the relay is the problem. If I do not get a ground signal or I see +12v on green wire when I get the ‘pull key’ msg, that means the relay is not doing its job.

You can see on picture that you can easily probe the green and black wire from the back of the relay.

That could also be the key pellet, but same as you, I got this problem only since the harness was installed. So I would say this is related to the relay.

On a side note. I got the recall information and the diagram from this forum on that link : http://corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/question.php?qstId=236

Picture of relay located at a place I will be able to diagnose on the spot.
LockRelay12v.JPG

Picture of the relay on the driver floor. Sorry for the picture in B&W. I forgot to turn the color option on camera....
LockRelayProbeBW.JPG
Hey thanks I'll check it out.

If that can help you, here are the new developments.

I stopped to fill the tank this afternoon. When I started the car, I get the ‘pull key wait 10 sec’ message. Without stopping the car, I take the multimeter out of the center console and connect the positive terminal to the green wire and the negative to the black wire. I found that the green wire had 0 volt, and was sending the ground signal to the BCM. That means that the relay is sending the appropriate signal to the BCM.

I have not checked the other wires; the one that sends the power to the ECL motor. I heard the motor and knew it was working. It would have gave me a B2587 or B2588 for a drive A short to ground or open circuit or a B2592 or 2593 for a ECL motor drive B short to ground or open circuit.

Could that be the ignition cylinder? At the end of the ignition key cylinder there is a switch that signals to the BCM to lock or unlock the ECL. But since I heard the motor and the relay was sending the appropriate signal, I doubt that could be the problem.

Next step…. Since I do not get the ‘service column lock ’message, that could be a problem with the security. The ignition cylinder might not read the resistance properly. I will get a resistor that has the same value than my key and install it as a bypass. Hopefully, nobody will want to steal my car.

The strange fact is that I drove the car for 50k miles this summer and the pull key message just came after I installed the relay. That means that the cylinder or key would have gave up around the same time I installed the relay. But that might be a coincidence.

The easy solution would have been an other bad relay. It is clear now that the relay is working. I have to go back to the shop manual and investigate more about security. It is getting cold and we expect snow in the next few days. I cannot drive the C5 as much as I want therefore; my tests are limited for now.

I will keep you posted on the progress. We never know that could be the ignition cylinder. I like to take my time and test instead of replacing parts. Hopefully, the snow will not come that fast and I will have time to find the solution before next spring. We will see…. Stay tuned.
SmilySingeDonnutOnCart.gif

You know that i was getting the pull key message after I installed the k harness well I drove it all last week and never got the message once. I don't know why.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom