Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

pulling motor and trans

bigben

Corvette
1971 Stingray
New to vettes. So heres the deal,71 matching #s.Pulling motor and trans,4 speed car.How do I get to the shifter mounting bolts,above the welded in crossmember,and also how to deal with the reverse cable for the interlock to the ignition??Any other tricks or things I might be missing?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Ben;shrug

Shift linkage.
Remove the exhuast then remove the linkage. You may need small hands.

Ign. lock cable.
Remove it from the transmission.

Is the shifter not mounted to the transmission? This has a Saginaw,im used to Muncies.
Ben

Is the shifter not mounted to the transmission? This has a Saginaw,im used to Muncies.
Ben

No '71 ever had a Saginaw transmission - all '71 4-speeds were Muncies. The factory shifter was mounted on a bracket bolted to the crossmember - only the linkage rods are connected to the transmission; all Corvettes from mid-'66-up had the bracket-mounted shifter.

:beer

Ya I just pulled my 350 motor and 4 spd muncie trans out not too long ago. From what I recall, I was able to remove the shifter and mount from the crossmember and it wasn't all that hard. I know I unbolted that pesky reverse cable off the trans and where it attaches into the firewall, it won't be connected ever again, I hated that thing.
The biggest problem I had however, was that the engine hoist didn't have enough reach due to the very long nose of the stingray. Also the way the legs are angled outward on the hoist, it wouldn't fit square under the car, so it was attached to the motor at sort of an angle. So I did the best I could and the engine moved forward when the motor was first lifted off the mounts. I ended up partially lifting the motor out and then unbolted the trans at some point. It was a ***** for sure. Be very patient that all I can say. Don't forget to remove your hood.
My car is currently under construction...frame-off restoration. Motor going in: 540 gen 6 big block, coupled to a richmond super street 5 speed. Man I can't wait to see what this car is going to do! Should be completed by the end of this year if all goes just right. :chuckle

To add a few other tips I did the same job a couple of years ago. You should be able to unbolt the shifter levers at the transmission and leave the shifter and shifter rods bolted in the car. If you decide you want to clean/rebuild the shifter you will have more room to take it out and put it back without the trans in the way.
For the engine reinstall I had the trans/engine together. It was tight but the hood, radiator and radiator support were not in the car.
To deal with the long nose, short engine hoist I can in from the right side. Front wheel was removed and I put a jackstand on a moveable wheel dolly. I used an adjustable load leveler connected to the engine, a must to adjust the angle as it went in.
Since the hoist came in from the side and I was in the garage the hoist stayed still and the car was moved into the engine/trans as it was loaded. To accomplish that I put a couple of 2 x 12 boards across the garage door opening and used a good old fashion cable come-along to ratchet the car forward slowly.
End result engine was in and on the mounts in about 30 minutes with no scratches on the firewall or engine. Just be careful where you put the back engine cable bracket connect since the engine/firewall spacing is tight.

Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom