Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Pulsing vibration

3tt3v8P

Corvette
1998 black on black convertible
Good day all. I've noticed a light pulsing vibration in my 98 vert for a while now. It is not terrible but very annoying. It seems to be the worst from 55 to 75 mph. I can feel it in the seat and a little in the steering wheel. I just put a new set of wheels and tires on (hankook ventus v12) but it did this on my run flats also. Any words of help is much appriciated.

Went for a drive last night and stopped a couple times to check the rotors for heat and they were all the same. Just warm. Anybody? Thanks much.

Try a four wheel alignment. If the pulsing comes up through the seat it's in the rear of the car as well as the front. Warped rotors would only be felt when braking.

Go for the easy stuff first......how many miles on the car? Have them recheck the balance on the new tires and wheels first....then start looking at driveline issues such as ujoints and such......also ck the engine mounts maybe. Alignment like has been mentioned........

Thanks for the hints. Got an alignment scheduled and hopefully this takes care of it. Also the rear sway bar links are getting replaced. Only 75000 miles. Again thanks much.:beer

The problem is with the mounting and balancing of the tires and wheels. That's where I would start. They don't have to be off by much to cause that proble.

I had a similar problem on my Silverado pickup a few years back. Just at a certain speed range it would "shimmy". Like you, it wasn't dangerous, just annoying. I had the tires balanced (several times by three different shops) to no avail. I checked the u-joints and finally figured I had a problem with the transmission. I had it in at a fourth tire shop and described the problem to the tech and he checked the balance and it was off so he rebalanced it, while rebalancing the tires he found that on two of them the internal ply's were shifting causing the balance to shift. At that point I had new tires installed and the shimmy went away.

Just a thought.......

Thanks guys. Just to mention again, it does the same thing with my other wheels and tire on it. The only thing i've noticed is on the other set the pass side front and back were wore more than the drivers side and they only have about 3000 miles on them. My new set is new grand sport wheels and hankook ventus v12's in stock c5 size. I'll let you know what the allignment does. Thank you

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom