Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Put It Away for the Winter??

I do wash and wax my vette and put it in the garage covered but......on a nice sunny dry New Jersey winter day the cover will come off and I will take it out! If its to cold to wash it we have a "hand wash" car wash that I will take it to. This winter I am looking forward to jacking it up and wheel by wheel taking them off and into the basement to wash and wax them off the vette. I even put fuel stabilizer in the tanks and fill them just in case it does turn out to be....a long hard winter.

Some of our best rides are during winter months, mostly since the tourists are at home instead of barreling down the road in their moterhomes and travel trailers. The roads can get pretty congested around here during the summer; winter means getting to have the road to yourself more often.
:lou

I bought my C5 last March from a guy in northern VA. He didn't take care of the wheels and all four have tremendous pitting damage to them from the salt on the road. They are going to be resurfaced this fall, but the salt can do some damage to your car. I've had to go and sand and recoat pieces under the car due to his neglect.
I did drive mine after it snowed last winter. When I put her away, I cleaned her up top to bottom and parked her back in the garage. This winter she'll stay in the garage unless it's nice outside. Nice being no snow, roads clean and I don't care what temperature it is outside.:cool
TysVetinfrontofhouse1.jpg

I drive mine all winter long, snow included. I do switch over to these GY M&S EMT's on decal'd wagon wheels. I've never had a problem. If the snow's over 4 inches I just grab a ride with my neighbor/co-worker.

bottom shelf snow tires - top shelf new set of rear rubber and an extra front.
tirerack.jpg

I drive mine all winter long, snow included. I do switch over to these GY M&S EMT's no decal'd wagon wheels. I've never had a problem. If the snow's over 4 inches I just grab a ride with my neighbor/co-worker.

bottom shelf snow tires - top shelf new set of rear rubber and an extra front.
tirerack.jpg

You are my hero. That is awesome.

Yeah, the winters down here are a real b****. Some days it gets down to about 55 and I can't figure out if I want to leave the house or not. Then I'm like screw it this is probably the best hp I'm going to get all year, and go tearing ass around town. :upthumbs It's about the only time you can like Houston.

Put It Away for the Winter...

SORRY - But reading the Subject Name to this thread in August just cracks me up! :D

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

SORRY - But reading the Subject Name to this thread in August just cracks me up! :D

You just never know around here! In the 5 years I've lived here I've heard at least 20 times about "the time it snowed on the 4th of July" - :crazy

eta: it's already getting down to 39 degrees at Lake Tahoe in the mornings.

Put it away for the winter :L But than I live in the south and the C5 is a DD

What's a DD?

(That's quite a collection you have there. )

Tammy

Thanks Tammy..I enjoy them all as much as I can..The C5 is now two years old and just turned 70K miles of :D

I know I am going to get slammed for this but here in Maryland it snows, sleets, rains and believe it or not even the sun shines in the winter. I don't always drive the vette but when the sun shines I drive it. Face it folks, it's a car, a plastic car. It won't rust and salt washes off. Do I drive it in the snow? No, but mainly because of the other drivers wanting to drive too fast for conditions. I bought it to enjoy and I try to live each day like it might be my last. You never know!

I know I am going to get slammed for this but here in Maryland it snows, sleets, rains and believe it or not even the sun shines in the winter. I don't always drive the vette but when the sun shines I drive it. Face it folks, it's a car, a plastic car. It won't rust and salt washes off. Do I drive it in the snow? No, but mainly because of the other drivers wanting to drive too fast for conditions. I bought it to enjoy and I try to live each day like it might be my last. You never know!

AMEN!! Glad I am not the only one who drives their Vette during the winter months.

Fair weather machine, girlfriend TOTALED my last Vette in a dusting of snow. The NCM is kind enough to store this one till May.

AMEN!! Glad I am not the only one who drives their Vette during the winter months.

Mine's a DD and that includes winters. I'm lucky in that my best friend/partner in business, lives next door. If the snow is more then 3" I just ride with him. I bought a set of wagon wheels with new Goodyear M&S EMTs for the winter. Here they are stored over the summer (bottom rack, and normally theres a black tarp draped over it.) BTW: The top rack has 2 new rears and a used front.

tirerack.jpg

When I used to live in the Philadelphia area (I've been here in Dallas for about a week now), I'd drive it everyday except, of course, when there was too much snow. Can't stand the salt and sand. I'm fortunate enough to have a second car(Pathfinder) for those deep snow days.

I also agree with some other folks in this thread, I used to wash it every weekend if my hose wasn't fozen, otherwiae I went to the car wash.

Bottom line is, GM built a truly beautiful machine and it should be driven as often as possible.

Put it away for the winter?

Hello folks, I live in suburban Chicago and have an 02 Torch Red coupe and it is my daily driver 12 months a year. I am lucky to work from my home so in the winter, if there is snow on the roads, she does not see the streets. If it is cold and dry, we are on the road and you all know that these cars run a little better when they are chugging that real cold air in the winter months!! Snow is no fun but the cold should not keep folks from enjoying these great machines.

RJ

:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom