Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Putting the vette away for the winter... :(

air1jpg

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe
It is getting colder out here in KY and I finally called and paired down the insurance and put the vette away for the winter today until about March.... :cry The only positive thing about it is that by the time I get it back out in March, it will be PAID OFF! :happyanim: Then I can start working on some maintanence and to restore the exterior paint, carpet, and the seats.

I don't put mine away till the first snow or ice hits and they put sand and salt on the roads.
Winter is long enough without rushing it.

Glenn

After all these years soon I will not be putting the vette away anymore. Decided to move south to enjoy nicer weather most of the time.....just can't take the winter months any more! I'm cold already and it ain't cold yet....brrrr....

I agree with G Winter there are usually many nice days left in November and not as many bugs left to make a mess on the windshield and front of the cars.

I drive All.....................

mine all year long!~!!

They ain't sugar,They won't melt!~!!! :D

Yup year around. You should see the looks on my neighbors faces when I drive up the hill covered in snow and they are stuck in there driveway.

I think that's way too early. It's almost like you were looking to put it away. Were you getting sick of the car? :L

I'm in Maine and figure I have about 1 1/2 mos until the 1st snow. My car has a heater in it, the colder weather does not effect how it starts, how it handles, and especially how it makes me feel!

I want to hear that rumble and go through the gears as much as I can before Winter puts it's hold on me.

Early congrats on paying the car off!

Chuck M

It is getting colder out here in KY and I finally called and paired down the insurance and put the vette away for the winter today until about March.... :cry The only positive thing about it is that by the time I get it back out in March, it will be PAID OFF! :happyanim: Then I can start working on some maintanence and to restore the exterior paint, carpet, and the seats.
Sorry to hear your driving season has ended... but at least you've got a double reason to see next Spring roll around - bringing her out of hibernation PAID OFF! We'll help you make it through winter and celebrate with you next Spring!

:wJane Ann

Well, we're not quite ready to put our two away! We generally do that around the first of December and take them out around the first of April...all depends on weather, of course. The days are still warm-ish and even if they're not, if it's sunny and dry, we can put on some miles! The winter is long enough when you just cannot drive them so we're not rushing it.

Elaine

You all suit yourself, Saturday's high here will be 36 with snow showers....Yeah, if we get one or two more nice 55+ days I need those to clean it up and put it away before the real cold and snow hits. I was going to do an auto-x saturday, maybe a snow-x now, in summer tires!!!! :L:L:L Then trying to wash it up in 40 degree weather, yeah right, try getting that to dry. Good Luck...:eyerole I'm thinking it should have gone to bed last weekend. I guess I'll hope for few more nice days...:ugh

I hope the weather holds out for a few more weeks. I am not ready to put her away just yet.:cool

Yup year around. You should see the looks on my neighbors faces when I drive up the hill covered in snow and they are stuck in there driveway.

I bet you get some interesting looks! Besides mounting snow tires on the rims, how do you drive through snow that is deeper than 2 or 3" ? ;shrug I'd imagine the snow would pile up in front of the air dam or on the bottom of the vette.

I'd be afraid that if I didn't get stuck, someone would slide into me! Besides, I have a 4x4 F-150 for driving in the snow. :thumb Winters can be quite unpredictable here in the Ohio valley, one year we can have snow before Thanksgiving and the next I could be still mowing the yard in December. Same way with spring, we could see warm weather as early as late February or as late as early April.

I bet you get some interesting looks! Besides mounting snow tires on the rims, how do you drive through snow that is deeper than 2 or 3" ? ;shrug I'd imagine the snow would pile up in front of the air dam or on the bottom of the vette.

I'd be afraid that if I didn't get stuck, someone would slide into me! Besides, I have a 4x4 F-150 for driving in the snow. :thumb Winters can be quite unpredictable here in the Ohio valley, one year we can have snow before Thanksgiving and the next I could be still mowing the yard in December. Same way with spring, we could see warm weather as early as late February or as late as early April.

In 1960 my dad and I had a new Vette in Penn and we did use snow tires on it. That car was driven 250K. As for my C4 I don't use snow tires I just let it idle it's way up the street. You are right about the ground clearance of the air dam but it is the same height as my Pontiac since it touches the same parking lot blocks in fact I think almost all cars have a standard for that height. I have driven in freezing rain for 200 miles and passed most of the high speed drivers that passed me when they park in the median or side of the road. They sure do use some funny parking angles when they pull off the road.

I put the 08 Convertible and 02 Coupe away last week. Took about 6+ hours to prepare each for storage until late April 2012. They are now sleeping under their covers in the garage while we are getting up to1 foot of snow today. I already have 8 inches on the ground and the snow won't stop till this evening. But it is supposed to be warming up again by Friday, so I will be driving the Z06 for another 4 to 6 weeks before it goes into storage. Did all the storage prep work on the Z06 last Saturday except for Stabil in the gas tank and the final cleaning of the carpets. Of course, it will be washed before storage, the tire pressure increased several pounds, and the battery tender hooked up. Then I go into withdrawal for 5 months.
Barrett

My wife and I just got our first Corvette a couple of months ago and I don't plan on putting it completely away all winter. It will take some extended naps during the winter but if it is dry and sunny we are going out for a ride. For the 10 years that I had my Harley I would try to go out for a ride as close to New Years Day as I could almost every year. Talk about getting some strange looks cruising down the road in January on a Harley with the temperature in the 30s.

T

Our is away also....I have a few things to do this off season and projects are under way already. Since we switched to Haggerty insurance I leave full coverage on it all year and I pay just over $250 per year including membership dues.
I have mine insured for $20,000.......
Sure is fun in the dead of winter here to break it out for a short stretch and turn a few heads.
Not many C1,C2 or C3's get used for daily drivers in northern winters around here.
Chas:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom