Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Putting tire sealent in tires for preventing flats

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
Has anybody put Slime or other brand of tire sealent in their Z06 tires as a prventive measure to prevent punctures from becoming flats? I have though about this since there is no tire pressure monitoring of the Z06 and the concern I have is that I would get a flat rear tire while driving on the highway and not realize it until the tire was destroyed - which would render the tire repair kit useless and leave me stranded. The concern I have with the sealent is that it would through the tires out of balance. When I had a real slow leak on my '01 Camaro SS I used sealent and it seemed to cause a little vibration in the steering. Thanks.

Kevin

DON'T! It will trash the tire pressure sensors and with runflats you will not know you have a problem.

HTH
:w

Thanks for the reply, but I wa talking about a Z06 which doesn't have the runflats or the tire pressure sensors. Since it doesn't have those I was concerned about getting a flat and ruining a tire in which case I would be stranded. I had a tire come completely off of the rim on my Camaro SS last summer, even though I pulled over on the interstate as soon as traffic would allow.
silver98 said:
DON'T! It will trash the tire pressure sensors and with runflats you will not know you have a problem.

HTH
:w

I would never use that stuff except in an emergency; the tire stands a chance (a chance? :L) of going out of balance, and I don't know what kind of effect the stuff has on the tire's composition, but it can't be good.

Ken said:
I would never use that stuff except in an emergency; the tire stands a chance (chance? :L) of going out of balance, and I don't know what kind of effect the stuff has on the tire's composition, but it can't be good.
I agree that stuff is nasty.. I hate it.. in emergancy maybe.. but my experiance has been it really doesn't seal the tire that well.. maybe enough to get to a service station possibly.. but if given the option I would not use it I'd rather have it towed.. or have someone bring a spare to me or something like that.
-=Rick

That slime stuff is junk. I've used it before and it throws the tires out of balance contrary to what sales people will tell you (or the product label). It really isn't that effective for stopping leaks in my opinion and experience.

Carry a two dollar plug kit and a 20 dollar air compressor...

You'll be fine.

Don't put that stuff in your tires...

I got a flat and you know it real quick. Took two minutes to fix with the plug kit.

Then drive to a tire store and have them repair the tire correctly with an inside patch..

That would be my recommendation..

BGJ said:
That slime stuff is junk. I've used it before and it throws the tires out of balance contrary to what sales people will tell you (or the product label). It really isn't that effective for stopping leaks in my opinion and experience.
The slime is also very corrosive. It will tend to trash the surface of your rims if left on for a long time.

I wonder if it is worth getting actual run flat tires instead of the non-run flat stock tires. Aren't the sensors still in the rims anyway, regardless if it is a Z06 or not? If so, I wonder if the sensors would display pressure information on the dash like a standard C5. I never could figure out why my Z06 had the non- run flats. Anyone know?

I would recommend a two dollar plug kit and a twenty dollar air compressor from K mart. Works great...

Non runflats are higher performance tires and lighter in weight than runflats...and thats why GM chose non runflats for the C5 Z06.

HTH

Let me make a suggestion to anyone who uses any of the flat repair aerosol. PLEASE tell the tire guy you have used it when he is about to dismount your tire. He can get a face full of the stuff when he breaks the bead.

JBsC5 said:
Carry a two dollar plug kit and a 20 dollar air compressor...

You'll be fine.

Last year I had a rear flat tire on my '01 Camaro SS. I slowed down as much as I could (without getting rearended) and worked my way to the shoulder. The shoulder was too narrow to park on and the were cars whipping past the left side of my car inches away at 70mph, so I idled down the shoulder to an exit a couple of hundred yards away. Before I went 50 yards the tire went completely off of the rim and I had to go the rest of the way on the rim - the air compressor and tire repair kit wouldn't have helped much. That is why I originally posted the question, but it seems like there are too many issues with leaving the tire sealant in the tire for an extended length of time to chance it. Thanks for everybody's replies.

Kevin

MsSchroder said:
Nope, no sensors in the z06 rims.

Tammy

If a person wanted to install sensors, the DIC can include that display. It would require that the function be turned on with OBDII and that the 'learning' procedure be done. C4C5 wrote that it could be done.

I definitely would not put that sealant in the tires unless you had a flat. It may result in a tire balance problem especially when the tires are hot.

TODD L GRIFFITH said:
I definitely would not put that sealant in the tires unless you had a flat. It may result in a tire balance problem especially when the tires are hot.

Good post. I too have often thought what to do if you get a flat tire. as expensive as these tires are, I would want to know right now that i have a flat. It doesn't take much to total a tire on these cars. I hadn't thought about a plug kit in the vette but that will be a future purchase. I do carry one in the truck and my daily driver. But no compressor. Speaking of compressors. We all know that the z-06 comes with a can of tire seal and a compressor. Has anyone used the compressor yet? It looks real tiny for the task of inflating tires and it may serve better to inflat a football.

H.D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom