Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Q-Jet Carb Inlet Filter Failure

2VettesMike

Corvette
1972 Bryar Blue Coupe 1993 40th Coupe
Under the heading of just when you think you've seen it all....
Coming home from work a couple of weeks ago via the parkway I was enjoying the 72 before cold weather. Engine starts stumbling, doesn't respond well to gas pedal but clears up. Does it three more times before I get home, luckily I did barely get it home.

Scratching my head I checked gas tank and tried gas treatment for any water in the gas. No luck. Scratching my head further finally took the inlet fuel filter loose and what did I find?

The filter had partially collapsed on itself and twisted like a candy cane. No signs of dirt or blockage of the pleats just too little area for the fuel to get through to the carb.

Now you have gas now you don't...

I hope this helps someone else out.

Thanks,

Mike

I was a mechanic for 12 years during the 70's and 80's and I was an expert on Rochester 4 barrels and never saw that happen. You should put in the solid brass type filter an it will never happen again.
:beer

hey Mike it's pat 72 thanks for the Quick reply and now I have another problem ,I had my engine rebuilt and they machined the block and removed my engine code so I need to get it put back on but I'm not sure how it went was the whole vin # on there and the date of the car or can you you look at yours and let me know, my vin is 1Z37K2S522324 and the car was built in may of 72

It is on the block in two parts with a space between them, sorry no photo to post.

200HP/4SPD/Date Code Partial VIN
V041ICKW 12S519599

Keep me in mind if you run across any 1100950 alternators.....

It is on the block in two parts with a space between them, sorry no photo to post.

200HP/4SPD/Date Code Partial VIN
V041ICKW 12S519599

Keep me in mind if you run across any 1100950 alternators.....
Hey Neighbor!!:w

Welcome to :CAC

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Alternator!!:upthumbs

stupid question

I saw this thread and noticed several of you have installed new fuel filters. I installed a new fuel filter on my 77 but the old one popped out too soon for me to see the exact direction to insert the new one. Also my new one looks a little different. It is the same size. One end is solid which I assume is the end that butts to the spring (much like the old one), the other end has a gasket and a hole. The old one was hollow and I can see to the bottom of the cylinder, this has white plastic in it when I peer inside of the hole. Can someone advise me on this?

So you think your special! Let me tell you about my filter problem. When we bought this 74 last year it had an "almost new" Edelbrock performer on it. When they installed it they failed to put a filter on it and from the time we bought it it started having performance problems. After many other parts changes figured out it was missing the filter and figuring it was pretty messed up from the trashy 30 year old tank. I replaced the carb with a new edelbrock and instaled the recomended edelbrock in line filter. This fixed the problem for awhile (two weeks) then it really started acting up and I just thought the problem was back. After much more trouble shooting finally looked inside the filter holder and found that the paper filter had exploded, sending pieces of filter and trash into the brand new carb. Now I have a carb with less than 500 miles on it that I need to have cleaned out. Do you think it is worth opening up it up as a do it your self project or do I take it to the pros and lighten my wallet again? Can anyone tell me if I open it up what to for and where to look first?

I saw this thread and noticed several of you have installed new fuel filters. I installed a new fuel filter on my 77 but the old one popped out too soon for me to see the exact direction to insert the new one. Also my new one looks a little different. It is the same size. One end is solid which I assume is the end that butts to the spring (much like the old one), the other end has a gasket and a hole. The old one was hollow and I can see to the bottom of the cylinder, this has white plastic in it when I peer inside of the hole. Can someone advise me on this?
Spring in first, filter and then the fitting!!The plastic thingy in the filter is a 1 way valve,it's supposed to keep the fuel from draining back after shut down,they usually get crud in them and restrict the fuel flow and make it feel like it's running out of fuel at High RPM!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom