Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quarter Master Update, I am not crazy afterall!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Great news. I just heard back from QuarterMaster. Some of you may remember my horrible clutch issues with Killer right after putting it together. In a mad dash to have it road worthy by Sharkfest, I dropped the QM (bad slippage issues) and installed a stock LUK brand.

The LUK has been working great, night and day difference from the issues I was having with the QM that was in there.

I sent the QM back for review. It turns out it DID have a defect in it. They had to replace the inner pressure plate ring as they noted an improper placement of the internal pivot by a measurable amount.

Long story short, they rebuilt the pressure plate, resurfaced the clutch disc, and are sending them back to me now (no charge!).

So, I was not just crazy, something was wrong with that mamma. All this time I have been thinking there was a chance the hydraulic release bearing was the issue, but turns out that was not an issue at all.

I think I will hang onto the QM as it is a direct fit for the Richmond Six speed conversion (splines and all) so that I can look into that Mod by the time I wear out the LUK.

So, although I am out of pocket for the LUK clutch, plus shipping to return the QM, and all the time I spent underneath it fighting it, the end result is as good as you could ever expect.

Thought I would share my positive customer experience with you guys!

Not to be a hater here but, don't you think QM would pay for your out of pocket expense to ship the defective clutch back to them? I don't know what it cost, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. I do applaud them for fixing it and shipping it back no charge, but that should be expected with a defective product.

If you had broken it then I would say you should pay to send it back for repairs, but when they broke it, it seems they should pay to have it sent to them for repairs.

Just my 2 cents.

On the flip side, congrats for you. Now you have a sweet "fallback" when the LUK goes out and you do the Richmond swap. By the way, have you considered the gear vendors overdrive system? It's something different but I don't know what the cost difference is. It looks really sweet though, and gives you 7 gears instead of 6.

Russ

/Chris ... I sent the QM back for review. It turns out it DID have a defect in it. They had to replace the inner pressure plate ring as they noted an improper placement of the internal pivot by a measurable amount.

Cool! Been waiting for closure. BTW, recall maybe you used a GM truck clutch m/c? ... anyway what is its bore?
JACK:gap

Jack said:
Cool! Been waiting for closure. BTW, recall maybe you used a GM truck clutch m/c? ... anyway what is its bore?
JACK:gap

I think 3/4" is the bore. I have to go back and check. It is however a stock 1985 truck m/c unit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom