Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

quartz clock conversion

Well, I ordered the quartz conversion, so that, as they say, is that.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Well, I guess that is not that...

I just got the quartz conversion kit and I have a couple of questions. First, the instructions say that if my original clock is not a Borg clock (it should have B or Borg somewhere on the clock) then the kit won't work. Well, I don't see a B or Borg, or any other marking for that matter. It looks like it'll fit, but....????

Second, how do I take the hands of the clock? Just pull, as it says in the instructions? (I've been unable to pull the hands off so far and I want to make sure there isn't a trick to it before I really begin to pull hard! )

The hands are supposedly "friction fit". My minute and hour hands loosened up quite easily. I put a small fork with narrow slots under each side of the hands and they pulled right off.

The second hand was another story. In repairing past clocks, I have broken the center shaft the second hand is fastened to. I read the same information- the hands should "pull right off". Maybe.

Try getting a thin but sturdy piece of metal with a thin slot in it- long enough you can get it under the whole second hand. Pull straight up equally on both sides at once, don't "wobble"- that will break the shaft for sure. I did it (broke it, that is) on another car. I have had good luck with the "puller" piece I just described, though.

Good luck....

The clocks in our cars were SUPPOSED to work?!? Mine never has, and I was thinking it might be a nice spot to stick the boost guage and just use the clock on my stereo display.... But from what I hear, those conversion kits aren't too hard at all.

The clock on my 78 works for a few hours and then stops for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Hoping all I have to do is chase a dust bunny out or tighten a wire, you know, something easy.

smurfvet said:
The hands are supposedly "friction fit". My minute and hour hands loosened up quite easily. I put a small fork with narrow slots under each side of the hands and they pulled right off.

The second hand was another story. In repairing past clocks, I have broken the center shaft the second hand is fastened to. I read the same information- the hands should "pull right off". Maybe.

Try getting a thin but sturdy piece of metal with a thin slot in it- long enough you can get it under the whole second hand. Pull straight up equally on both sides at once, don't "wobble"- that will break the shaft for sure. I did it (broke it, that is) on another car. I have had good luck with the "puller" piece I just described, though.

Good luck....

That worked great! Thanks! I ended up using a salad fork whose prongs were just perfect. I'd drop the fork into my toolbox, but I think the wife would disapprove!! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom