Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about Dash Replacement Bulbs: 1988 Corvette

cajuncorvette

Corvette
1988 Corvette Coupe - Bright Red
I have a dim side of my center dash area (I am referring to the speedometer and RPM section of the dash- the RPM side is dim). How many bulbs are needed to illuminate the entire center dash (speedometer and RPM)? Are the bulbs 882's? I am trying to order replacements and don't know how many to order or from where.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Cajuncorvette. I drove my '88 as a DD for 4 years and I had the same problem but it turned out to be a bad connection. Later I had even dimmer sections but when I changed my battery the dash lit up beautifully. Anyway I did a lot a research here and found a lot of info including the bulbs and how to remove the dash. I saved some of the info including the link for the company that refurbs the dash.

If you can't find what you need via search let me know and I will send the info that I have (I am at work and the info is on one of my home PCs).:thumb

J

I think I read on this forum to use Stanley 7073 xenon, they have the same brightness but less wattage/heat. I haven't replaced mine yet, they still respond to a stiff smack with bare fist to the left side of the driver display. One day it won't. Of course the stiff smack may be telling me it's a bad connection/ground. I'll deal with it when it's actually broke.

I replaced the 4 - 882 bulbs in my 85 coupe with 168 bulbs. You will have to replace the sockets also if you put 194's or 168's in. The 168's are twice as bright as the 194's and almost as bright as the 882's, but less heat. I tried to find 882's before I replaced them, but they were quite expensive (around $12 a bulb at 12.8 Volts 4.48 Watts Printed-Circuit Special Base #882 Bulb). Thats why I switched to the 168's and new sockets (I think it cost about $10 or $15 to replace all 4 with sockets). If you really want to stick with the 882's, I have 3 used ones with the sockets (they worked when I removed them in the spring), you can have for $5 to cover the cost of shipping. :)

Mike

Zip products is the best place I've found to order replacement 882 bulbs. Seems like they were around $18-19 locally.

ok i had the same problem with my 88 got so bad that i was having stomach ach,here goes.you have to remove the speedo bezel from the dash after you get the bezel off there will be four stainless steel caps that face into the dash.now here is where you get a break go to any auto parts store and get 4 bulbs #194. the 882's are ok and that is what the book calls for but they proudce a lot of heat, the 194's are a cooler light will be bright enough to lite the dash but not hot enough to score the board that it's mounted.now some people will tell you that to do the replacement the proper way you must remove the cluster and the backing plate to get to the bulbs dont do it! it's to easy to get something out of alignment use a small and i mean a small flathead screwdriver and find a little notch brhind the the bulb cover/reflector and lightly pry the cover out.get all the covers out and turn the dash lights on you'll be able to tell wich one's are out,ok my advice is to replace all four bulbs so you dont have to do this again in 2 months. ok now it'll get a little weird here but go back to the parts store and get a piece of transmission line hose take one of the bulbs with you test the bulb size against the hose and make sure the bulb just fits snug inside the rubber hose,then go to the local dollar store and get some superglue [ i told you this would get weird] and a un sharpend #2 lead pencil.ok now take all this out to the car make sure to NOT USE THE SUPERGLUE TO INSTALL THE NEW BULBS! cut about a 2 inc lengt of hose and put 2 drops of glue 180 degrees from each other and slide it over the old bulb in the dash just far enough to cover half the bulb in the dash, wait a good 2min then lightly pull back if it slips off the bulb reglue and wait a little longer after you get a good seal on the bulb puul back again and if the bulb is hard to pull out give it a real light tourq to thr right not much but just enough to loosen the bulb it'll come out. cut another 2inch piece of hose and place the new bulb in the end [DO NOT USE GLUE FOR THIS! ] place the tube with the bulb in in the bulb hole and make sure it lines up with the slots in the sockett then take the #2 pencil rubber end first place it in the tube an lightly push the bulb out of the tube in to the plug dont push too hard you'll be able to tell when the bulb is seated took me about 15 mins start to finish. will i hope this helps you out and get's you going again i know what it's like to have a problem and not a way to solve it without a lot of hassel. by the way,DO NOT USE A PAIR OF NEEDLE NOSE PILERS TO TRY TO REMOVE THE BULBS you might get lucky and get away with it once but you break a bulb and you will wind up pulling the cluster! you'r best not trying to fool with that LCD dash in these cars they can be a little cranky hope this helps rmagee7 i pay about .65 cents apiece for bulb's at autozone or oreilleys
!

This is a good write. Thanks for posting. Sounds very practical, too. It's what I'm gonna try when mine actually goes out and can't be revived with the ol "thumper" method. Except I'm gonna ust the Stanley Xenon bulbs, they're brighter than 194's and don't get hot.

May I have a copy of you info on this problem?

Hi Cajun corvette. I drove my '88 as a DD for 4 years and I had the same problem but it turned out to be a bad connection. Later I had even dimmer sections but when I changed my battery the dash lit up beautifully. Anyway I did a lot a research here and found a lot of info including the bulbs and how to remove the dash. I saved some of the info including the link for the company that refurbs the dash.

If you can't find what you need via search let me know and I will send the info that I have (I am at work and the info is on one of my home PCs).:thumb

J
Hi Bonnell, I would appreciate a copy as I am having similar problems.Thanks,
Taps

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom