Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about high mileage on C4s

Hey, Frank! Maybe we'll see you there. I should be up on Saturday pretty much all day. I need to get some of those CAC window clings to ID the car.

Mine's catching up to yours mileage-wise... you've only got 85k more than me :).

[RICHR]

Go For It

I have a Red 86. Got it from a lady that got it in a divorce settlement, cause she caught her husband and the other woman in it..rofl :) ...Oh well one mans tradegedy is another mans triumph. I paid $6000 and it is immaculate, had 105,000 on the odometer. I have had NO Problems with it, accept minor maintenance and small parts (switches & such). I work 3 part-time jobs on top of Police Work and have an extra account I call my "Engine Kitty". I put a little in from time to time because ANY CAR will sooner or later cost ya and I want to be prepared. I'd rather drop 3-4 grand on a new engine then get rid of my Baby. It's cheaper to keep her..rofl..unless your cheatin in a Vette..rofl. Well thats my 3 cents on it. I was gonna give 2 cents but the economy is screwed up and I want to do my part...rofl....Wooooo Life is Good!

Angel Man!

Re: Go For It

Arcangel224 said:
I have a Red 86. Got it from a lady that got it in a divorce settlement, cause she caught her husband and the other woman in it..rofl :) ...Oh well one mans tradegedy is another mans triumph. Angel Man!

:eek Hope I don't get caught !!!!

lonegunman said:
I am looking to buy a C4 on a budget of course. I am finding some nice cars with the exception of high mileage. I'm talking about 100,000 plus miles. I even looked at one with 145,000 miles. I'd like to hear some thoughts on purchasing one of these cars with high mileage. I am looking at an 88 with 122,000 miles and an 86 with 81,000. I would like some input on what members think. On, by the way, I missed a cherry 93 with anniversary package for $10,000 - a day late. It had 60,000 miles. Thanks [/QUOTE

Have you got your C4 yet ?

FrankM said:
Here is another prospective on high mileage cars.

As usual I will be driving it to Carlisle again. You will see it parked with all the other Vettes inside.

Odo should read 220k at Carlisle. (original alternator :) )

http://home.attbi.com/~fmulone/corvette/corvette.html

I jinxed my alternator with this post.

It stopped working on the way home at 220,487 miles !!! :eek
I had to go to Pep Boys in Waterbury, Ct.

Yesterday I changed my original left axle u-joints (heard a squeek noise) . Right side was changed at 175k miles.

At least the L98 cars have alternators that are simple to change! If there was something that had to go wrong on my old '87, i wished it to be the alternator... I got so good at changing it, I could do it in less than 15 minutes.

The best advice I could give you is to buy the newest one, in the best shape, with the lowest miles you can afford, because Vette parts are not cheap. I would also take someone with you that owns a vette or knows a lot about them and what to look for, this could save you a lot of cash in the long run. And expect to have to fix a few things no mater how nice the car you get is.
Good luck and make sure you look around.

Take your time looking. Find out as much history as you can. It will pay off in the long run!!! Good luck!!!

I have 190,000 plus in my 92 auto convertible. Right now she is resting, I'm aboard the USS Essex heading out to sea and take care of bussiness. Trust me high mileage will not stop performance. Is your money, Does buying it will make you happy? Yes go 4 it!!!!!!!

Semper Fi:r

I also was looking for a C4 on a budget. Most of the cars I found with low mileage were also out of my price range. So I bought a 87 with 120,000 miles on it. Of course I have replaced several parts due to age, but the engine starts, idles, and runs great. The small block Chevy engine has (in my opinion) always been a reliable engine. I know some day I will have to rebuild or replace the engine(mmm..maybe a 350hp 383 crate ) but for now I am just enjoying the ride.

Vettelt193 said:
At least the L98 cars have alternators that are simple to change! If there was something that had to go wrong on my old '87, i wished it to be the alternator... I got so good at changing it, I could do it in less than 15 minutes.

:L :L :L

This may sound crazy, but the one of the most difficult things for me to do is put that darned air filter housing unit back on top of the radiator cover. Getting those two bolts to stay in place is a pain in the @$$

These days, it's immaterial how many miles are on a car if the car has been cared for properly. In no case would I buy a car that did not have all the maintenance records from day one. Just the fact that the owner keeps such records means that they have cared for the car a great deal. These engines will just go and go and go, I've seen Corvettes with 200,000 miles and no rebuilds...but then, those cars have been well cared for. The most important thing is regular oil changes. Has the radiator been flushed every two years? Has the transmission been serviced? How are the shocks? There is no reason to be scared of a high-mileage Corvette if it has received proper care.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom