Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question about vin#/ trim tags

F

fatboy34

where is the vin# or serial # on a 58-60 corvette located at , i know there is a number stamped in the frame somewhere but what about a number on the body of car, is this also a vin or is it just a trim tab stating color etc, does the number have to be on body or just the frame or both for legal purpose
Thanks in adance , Nick

There is only a vin tag and it is in the driver side door jam. They have no trim tags. oWEN

fatboy34 said:
where is the vin# or serial # on a 58-60 corvette located at , i know there is a number stamped in the frame somewhere but what about a number on the body of car, is this also a vin or is it just a trim tab stating color etc, does the number have to be on body or just the frame or both for legal purpose
Thanks in adance , Nick

car im looking at has replaced steering coulmn and no tag in door jamb, any thoughts on this, kinda bothers me ,

Vin

fatboy34 said:
Thanks in adance , Nick

Nick,

The VIN is stamped on the frame just under where the driver sits. There should be a VIN tag on the Driver's door frame. My VIN tag is missing but I'm getting my title straight (through the DMV) using the stamped VIN on the frame. From there I'll buy a replacement VIN tag for it.

If you want pictures (of my 58 frame) or any other info just e-mail me at vettes58n65@yahoo.com and I'll send you pictures and/or info.

DW

fatboy34 said:
car im looking at has replaced steering coulmn and no tag in door jamb, any thoughts on this, kinda bothers me ,

Is the car titled/registered now?

This was on of my biggest fears with purchasing my car.I wanted to make sure I had a NO questions title/registration. New york only has title (I think) on 73 and newer cars.

One of my biggest fears about selling my frame was I was afraid some one would try and build another car from the serial number off of my frame once I sold it. My frame was so rusted it just was not possible.

If the car is currently titled/registered with a transferable title/registration I would think your ok.

Did you ask the seller the story behind the missing vin tag?

Missing VIN

IH2LOSE said:

This was on of my biggest fears with purchasing my car.I wanted to make sure I had a NO questions title/registration. New york only has title (I think) on 73 and newer cars.

One of my biggest fears about selling my frame was I was afraid some one would try and build another car from the serial number off of my frame once I sold it. My frame was so rusted it just was not possible.

If the car is currently titled/registered with a transferable title/registration I would think your ok.

I had the DMV run the VIN to ensure everything was OK. It's something I'd highly recommend!!!

DW

IH2LOSE said:

I believe the car is currently titled/registered , but it is as a 58 and the car is a 60 , the owner purchased car about 9 months ago and does not know how it got titled wrong or where the missing vin tags on body went, if this can all be straightened out, can I get new vin tags for the body? also requested vin # from seller so I can get my DMV to run and make sure it can be properly titled for my state

Well it seems we are dealing with 2 different things,

One is a frame What year is that ? Check the vin

Two is the body, what year is that?

Me personally passed on quite a few cars like this.

Check the C1 registry to see simular vette vins to determine if its even a vette vin.

Last year I looked at C2 for a fellow I know from a car cruise. the vette had a vin from a different chevy on it,I think it was a nova or a chevelle. He worked for NYCPD and put the guys from the stolen car divistion on the car.I will know what happened next time I see him in spring

Good Luck You

The VIN tag on 58, 59, and very early (before December 59) cars, was mounted on the drivers door hinge pillar. After then, the VIN tag was spot welded to the steering column. Without getting the VIN off the frame, and finding if the car is stolen, I would not even consider buying it. Once you get the Frame VIN, and have it cleared, then you can apply for a state-issued VIN and get a new title. Be prepared that this may take up to 6 weeks in Texas assuming that all checks out. While the car has a valid 58 title, and would probably not present any issues to changing the title to your name in Texas, It would present a real problem when taken out of state, where it is required to have the VIN tag inspected prior to registering it in the state. Furthermore, It is clearly not a 58, and this may come back to bite you some day. I would not seriously consider buying the car until it has been blessed by the state as not being stolen and has a new VIN tag attached to it that reflects the proper year model. A good friend of mine, invested huge ammount of money in purchasing and restoring a nice 64 SS Impala, only to
have it confiscated. He lost every dime he had in the car.
Both of the last 2 C1 cars I have bought have had title issues, but I researched the issues well enough to know that I had no exposure. My 60 took almost 6 months to get a title cleared up from an owner who died wnd the car was never probated properly, and my current 59 had it's VIN tag lostr while it was apart for restoration. This car had a correct title that matched the VIN on the frame, so it was easy to get a new VIN tag produced to match the original VIN. This will not be the case on that car since you need both a VIN tag and a correct title. I think that the only avenue is to go with a state-issued VIN and title.

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John,
I will let the owner know all of this , and like your friend I am in no hurry to lose the car due to having it confiscated , that would just plain suck, as I said the whole mess would have to be cleared up and then checked in my state before any monies would be spent, I guess I will just keep looking for another 58 - 62 , the search sometimes gets a little frustrating as I know all who have gone before me in this quest can attest to, maybe tomorrow or the next day or the next a good one will rear its ugly money grubbing head wanting a new home

Thanks , Nick

fatboy34 said:
Thanks John,
I will let the owner know all of this , and like your friend I am in no hurry to lose the car due to having it confiscated , that would just plain suck, as I said the whole mess would have to be cleared up and then checked in my state before any monies would be spent, I guess I will just keep looking for another 58 - 62 , the search sometimes gets a little frustrating as I know all who have gone before me in this quest can attest to, maybe tomorrow or the next day or the next a good one will rear its ugly money grubbing head wanting a new home

Thanks , Nick

Nick from a guy who was looking for a project car for a LONG time.Use your head when shopping,Not your heart/whim/the thought that this is the last car you will find.

Unless this car is way under the money,use exsteeme caution.

And not to be an alarmest,It may be as simple as the vin tag is lost.

Or it may be as major as the vin tag is with another body,and the person holds title to the body with the vin tag and a rock solid bill of sale (may not be registered at this time because its a project car) And when the correct owner of the vin goes to register his car and he cant because you have a registered car with his vin, both cars then become questionable and the guy with the best documentation ends up with the legal car,or both end up with a state assigned vin.

Good luck

I can attest to

THE PERFECT CAR FOR YOU IS OUT THERE YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND IT

I had given up hope for a while on finding a car,I actually decided to just order my SR111 frame and start building the frame until I could find my donor car.I ordered my frame in June of 2004 and was picking it up at Corvettes of Carlilse in August ( after looking at photos of John McGraws frame I had figured I had at least a year of building time on the frame) And would wait untill the right car came along,Dont you know I consumated my deal while at carlilse via email.

If this car is not for you just hang tight the right one will come along.If your doing a SR111 tupe frame just order your frame and start building your car will come along soon enough.

Remember this come from some one who was in the same boat as you less then a year ago

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom