Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question for Hib

Jeb

Corvette
1987 Convertable
Hib - Do you have any experience using Lucas Transmission Fix with an automatic in a 87 C4? (Actually, the question is for everyone, not just Hib so don't get the redass because I used his name.)

Mine is just starting to slip (just a tad when on the cusp of going into overdrive) and the shifts are not as smooth as they used to be. Now, it actually "clicks" (not a Bang - just a click that you can feel slightly) into the next gear up or down (sometimes). It's a daily driver and I don't race it but I don't baby it either. Of course, I always obey the local traffic laws. :L

Would it hurt to try the stuff? I don't want to kill the transmission but if I can avoid an overhaul for a bit, I'd like to do so.

Lucas Transmission Fix : Lucas Oil

I have no experience with Lucas "Transmission Fix" but I can tell you, if the transmission is slipping, there is no pour-in additive which can repair that.

I agree with Hib, mostly of the time, once it starts to slip, it is done. Although, I have seen flushing the transmission help. I have also saw pouring in some limited slip additive help. Ford Crown Victorias for a while had some trans. slip issues. Pouring in some limited slip seemed to correct the slip, at least for a while.

You should plan on having it overhauled, then pour in some of your favorite (fix in a bottle stuff) just for grins and giggles. What is the worst that could happen, it makes it worse and you needed a overhaul anyway.

If the trans fix works as well as the power steering additive then it should help at least for awhile.
Very often slippage is due to seals going bad/tearing, but sometimes it can be seals getting hard.If they aren't torn it might help.

Glenn
:w

I agree with Hib, mostly of the time, once it starts to slip, it is done. Although, I have seen flushing the transmission help. I have also saw pouring in some limited slip additive help. Ford Crown Victorias for a while had some trans. slip issues. Pouring in some limited slip seemed to correct the slip, at least for a while.

"93Rubie"...I want to make sure I understand the above correctly. You're saying that you have observed use of limited slip additive of the type used to reduce or eliminate clutch noise or chatter from rear axles with clutch-type limited slip differentials, being used to mitigate slippage of clutches and/or bands in an automatic transmission?

As "Click and Clack," the CAR TALK guys advise: go to the auto parts store and buy something with the word "miracle" in the name. When that doesn't work, take it to be repaired.:L

If the reason for your slippage is the friction lining, nothing in a can will help.
If the problem is hardened piston apply seals, there is a small, and I mean small, chance a can of miracle good may help for a short time. They attempt to "melt out" the hard seals.

"93Rubie"...I want to make sure I understand the above correctly. You're saying that you have observed use of limited slip additive of the type used to reduce or eliminate clutch noise or chatter from rear axles with clutch-type limited slip differentials, being used to mitigate slippage of clutches and/or bands in an automatic transmission?

Actually, I thought about this after I wrote it, if I remember correctly it was for slipping torque converters. Trans. shudder from the converter not locking up correctly. A little "mouse milk" (friction modifier-limited slip additive or whatever you want to call it) did indeed cure it for at least some time. Do not ask me how or why, but it worked, at least for a while.

I had a Cavalier that was slipping in 2 and 3 one time. Used car-a "BUY HERE, PAY HERE" (my name isn't on the building):eyerole, anyway, they wanted a cheap fix. So they had me do a BG Trans. Flush on it, did the flush, added the Shift Improver stuff from BG, and SOB, the slip was gone. At least for while, never saw the car again so I do not know where it went. :confused

This all being said, I am NOT an expert on automatic transmissions, I know how they work and such but I do not mess with them a whole lot. That is the tranny guy who does that. I prefer my manual boxes, less to go wrong.

Hib - Do you have any experience using Lucas Transmission Fix with an automatic in a 87 C4? (Actually, the question is for everyone, not just Hib so don't get the redass because I used his name.)

Mine is just starting to slip (just a tad when on the cusp of going into overdrive) and the shifts are not as smooth as they used to be. Now, it actually "clicks" (not a Bang - just a click that you can feel slightly) into the next gear up or down (sometimes). It's a daily driver and I don't race it but I don't baby it either. Of course, I always obey the local traffic laws. :L

Would it hurt to try the stuff? I don't want to kill the transmission but if I can avoid an overhaul for a bit, I'd like to do so.

Lucas Transmission Fix : Lucas Oil

Out of curiosity, have you done any work lately that could have compromised the TV cable adjustment? If you didn't, I would check it anyways. Make sure the proper adjustment procedure is followed, and see if that improves your issue. If it doesn't you aren't out anything but about 10 minutes.

Actually, I thought about this after I wrote it, if I remember correctly it was for slipping torque converters. Trans. shudder from the converter not locking up correctly. A little "mouse milk" (friction modifier-limited slip additive or whatever you want to call it) did indeed cure it for at least some time. Do not ask me how or why, but it worked, at least for a while.

(snip)

Ok. I read your post correctly...just had to make sure.

Limited slip additives are, as you correctly state, "friction modifiers", however, they tend to slightly reduce friction so, you wouldn't want to add them to ATF for any reason, because, they would tend to make TCCs and any part in an automatic that depends on friction for function slip more not less.

As for a TCC that chatters on application, a friction modifier might help with that problem, but would degrade the application of clutches and bands.

This is just another situation for which where really is no pour-in solution.

Out of curiosity, have you done any work lately that could have compromised the TV cable adjustment? If you didn't, I would check it anyways. Make sure the proper adjustment procedure is followed, and see if that improves your issue. If it doesn't you aren't out anything but about 10 minutes.

That was the first thing I checked. It is correctly adjusted.

The "clicking" noise I'm getting happens more when the transmission downshifts when coming to a stop, rather than during upshifts although it snaps on the upshift also but not as badly, if that makes any sense. It's like the transmission is snapping into the next gear rather than a smooth transition. You can actually feel it and it sometimes feels like it's coming from the differential sometimes from the transmission. They're so close together that it's hard to tell. It's been doing it for quite a while now and it hasn't gotten worse...but I have some time now and i decided to look into it. I doubt of the trans is going to crap itself soon. I'd just like smoother shifts at the lower gears.

For all I know, this might be normal for this transmission. For a 23 year old car, it runs great. Hell, it runs great for 2 year old car. :)

After thinking a little about the slippage, I think what I have is the normal 40 MPH confusion between 3rd gear and overdrive. It just can't seem to make up its mind about which gear it should be in. I don't think it's what we would normally call slipping.

I can never seem to understand why people opt for those "cure in a can" things. It's like flushing a trans that you know is out the door. All you do is delay the inevitable and prolong the agony. Now, if you are a hundred miles from home and trying to limp it back there, I suppose.

When I felt my fuel injectors needed service based on years and mileage, I sent them to FIC. Report came back that most were ok but not consistent. One had a filter basket that collapsed partially. Why not get it tested instead of trying these cures in a bottle?

Ok. I read your post correctly...just had to make sure.

Limited slip additives are, as you correctly state, "friction modifiers", however, they tend to slightly reduce friction so, you wouldn't want to add them to ATF for any reason, because, they would tend to make TCCs and any part in an automatic that depends on friction for function slip more not less.

As for a TCC that chatters on application, a friction modifier might help with that problem, but would degrade the application of clutches and bands.

This is just another situation for which where really is no pour-in solution.

Like I said, do not ask me how or why it worked on those particular cars but it did, FOR A WHILE. Like you said, once they start to go, you need an overhaul.

Like I said, do not ask me how or why it worked on those particular cars but it did, FOR A WHILE. Like you said, once they start to go, you need an overhaul.

They did what they were supposed to do as a friction modifier.
Lubeguard is another one of the few on the market that actually has a small chance of helping to limp one along until the overhaul.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom