Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question on kelsey hayes wheels

toms 1974

Corvette
1974 silver w/silver interior
Hello, 1st post new member,been reading postings for a long time decided to join-in. Sorry to visit old topic re:kelsey hayes wheels but never read how to date them, have all numbers from back, any help would be great. thanks:confused

Well, welcome aboard Tom (Nice name :D ). I'm pretty sure we have someone here that can help answer that question...it's not me, but I'm pretty sure there is someone. :L

Welcome to the site.

The wheels are pretty easy to identify, but it's all done from the front so the trim ring and canter cap need to come off. Most of the info will be grouped around the valve stem. The correct 15 x 8 Corvette rally wheels will be stamped with an 'AZ' code and have an additional code containing the mfg. date that reads something like K 1 4 7 (valve stem) 26 AZ. This translate to K for rim bead type, 1 for the plant ID#, 4 for the year (1974), 7 for the month (July) 26 for the day then the AZ code for the wheel type.

All five wheels should be manufactured before the trim tag date to be considered 'original'.

Hope this helps. :beer

Thanks for greeting and answers vettehead and toms01, I should have been clearer on what i was after. The wheels in question are aluminum wheels from 1976-1982, not the stock steel wheels. My spare is the steel wheel with following numbers, K-1-5 49 AZ, . The aluminum wheels are numbered on the back, example of 1 wheel is : KH301008 15JJx8.00= size, 14008687 made in Mexico Kelsey Hayes aw these numbers are on outer ring before slots, there are additional numbers around lug nut area same wheel : 3 8 721279 S604 P604 111 any info will help thanks

Good morning Toms01, thanks for greeting and answers, i added more info about what i needed on wheels, waiting for reply:w

...A.) KH301008... B.) 15JJx8.00= size... C.) 14008687... D.) 721279...

A is the Kelsey Hayes part number
B is the size
C is the GM part number
D might be a date code for July 21 second shift 1979

Do a search. If memory serves, an earlier post wanted to know about the date code.

:)

Thanks vettehead, i think these are stock wheels from factory on all vettes 1976-1982. I think they are listed as YJ8 wheels, there is a thread following yours with more info. thanks

Thanks Mike. Was not sure of part number or date , part number makes sence except i can not find referance to it, date could be right except each wheel has a differant number

a-661279 b-721279 c-881279 d-121269

Thanks vettehead, i think these are stock wheels from factory on all vettes 1976-1982. I think they are listed as YJ8 wheels, there is a thread following yours with more info. thanks

These type of wheels were options (that's what the RPO YJ8 means), but the ones you have are not the particular part number that GM installed at the factory.

Thanks vettehead they sure look like ones you see on vettes, chrome outer surface 8 ovals deep dish ,unfinished inside ovals and back, will bow to greater wisdom. thanks

Tom, my thinking on your wheels is that they may be an after-market wheel offered by K-H in the same style as the ones they made for Chevrolet. Just a guess, if they don't have the correct numbers for RPO. Whatever they are, I know the wheel you are talking about and they are a sweet looking wheel.

These type of wheels were options (that's what the RPO YJ8 means), but the ones you have are not the particular part number that GM installed at the factory.

I agree; I'm betting they are K-H service replacement wheels offered over the counted by Chevrolet dealers.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom