Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question re: Getting to the 3rd Brake Light

Corvette
2002 Z06
Hello friends-

Can someone pls tell me how to remove the 3rd brake light lens and/or assembly from my 95? I am planning on installing an aftermarket flasher module, and need to get to the associated wires.

Many thanks!

Jeff

If the '95 is the same as an '87...
  1. Pop the rear hatch.
  2. Remove the two screws holding the CMSL to the hatch and lift the CSML clear.
  3. Perform the work you wish to do.
  4. Reverse the procedure to reassemble.

My 92 I went and removed the fuel door & cap and base then reached in and removed the bulb base and the wires are right there easy to get to.:D

Jeff's is a coupe, the CMSL is attached to the hatch in his case. If you have a convertible, you have to go in the way you describe. ;)

_ken :w

I believe that the CMSL was moved in 91 or 92 to the bumper fascia

Remove the license plate and frame. Using a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket (7mm ?) reach inside and up to the two screws, one on either side.

Making the CHMSL flash does not make driving any safer for you, if that is why you are doing it. There are copious studies that show that flashing does not help, because it takes too long for a filament lamp to flash enough time for the following driver to understand what is going on. Also, even if you got a following driver that was actually paying attention, there are other valid studies that show that even in obvious emergency situations, drivers rarely apply the brakes hard enough to avoid a crash. That is why M-B, Toyota, BMW and others install "brake assist" on all their vehicles. It senses when a driver has quickly remove pressure on the acc. pedal, and moved to the brake, and how much brake pedal pressure has been applied. It the vehicle determines that you are not pushing hard enough, it pushes for you, to protect itself from you.

So don't imagine that that you are doing something worthwhile.

However, if you are doing it for a trailer queen, okay, just remove the rear plate and reach in as stated above!

I'll tell you about one study I've conducted.

Making the CHMSL flash does not make driving any safer for you, if that is why you are doing it. There are copious studies that show that flashing does not help, because it takes too long for a filament lamp to flash enough time for the following driver to understand what is going on. Also, even if you got a following driver that was actually paying attention, there are other valid studies that show that even in obvious emergency situations, drivers rarely apply the brakes hard enough to avoid a crash. That is why M-B, Toyota, BMW and others install "brake assist" on all their vehicles. It senses when a driver has quickly remove pressure on the acc. pedal, and moved to the brake, and how much brake pedal pressure has been applied. It the vehicle determines that you are not pushing hard enough, it pushes for you, to protect itself from you.

So don't imagine that that you are doing something worthwhile.

However, if you are doing it for a trailer queen, okay, just remove the rear plate and reach in as stated above!

I didn't install a flashing light on my '93 full sized chevy pickup, I installed a 6" drop down trailer hitch. I have repeatedly observed people giving me much more distance in bumper to bumper traffic than they used to in the same vehicle. I drive a lot more relaxed now. The best $30 I ever spent on an aftermarket part.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom