Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question- Underhood Labels on a 96

Greg Gore

Corvette
96 Coupe-white, LT-1; 04 Convertible-triple black
Hi Folks:

Did the 96 originally have a Mobil 1 label or placard with the familiar logo affixed under the hood somewhere?

Thanks, Greg

Hi Folks:

Did the 96 originally have a Mobil 1 label or placard with the familiar logo affixed under the hood somewhere?

Thanks, Greg
Yes it had Mobil 1,with a placard right in front of the air cleaner on the hood!! The oil filler cap had Mobil 1 on it too!!:upthumbs
HPIM0709.jpg
[

Thanks gmjunkie!! Found one for sale so I guess I'll get it. :beer

Interesting late ’96 model run trivia...

There have been comments that some late build ’96 Corvettes did not come with the Mobil 1 placard. Mine is one of them!

From what I’ve read, the supply of placards was exhausted towards the end of the C4 run. BG didn’t bother to have more manufactured as it happened at the end of the build out on the C4.

I’ve read this on several occasions, BUT, I do not have concrete literature to confirm the story 100%. I don’t want to say it’s set in stone if I can’t substantiate it. If anybody has more in-depth info on this, that would be great.

Over time, I’ve looked at other late build ’96’s, some have not had the placard, they appear just as mine does. On my C4, there is no evidence that anything was ever there, it does have two raised alignment markings for the placard, but that’s it.

I was going to buy a placard for my car, but then I realized it never had one affixed! I bet any money though, that if I have it at a NCRS judged event someday, I would be docked points for not having it, even though my ’96 never had the placard.

Any input from late build C4 owners would be appreciated! I think my LT4 was built in the last two weeks of C4 production

B17Crew
:w

Mine is missing one as well. Car is at another location at the moment but I think the build date on the door sticker is 4-96; serial number is 16676. I just assumed it fell off or was removed by a previous owner for whatever reason but maybe not. This is interesting, perhaps more 96 owners will check in and let us know. Thanks folks! :w

It’ll be interesting to see what other ’96 owners have under the hood when it comes to the Mobil 1 placard! Mine was built in June, I can’t remember the exact date though, but it was at the end of C4 production.

B17Crew

It’ll be interesting to see what other ’96 owners have under the hood when it comes to the Mobil 1 placard! Mine was built in June, I can’t remember the exact date though, but it was at the end of C4 production.

B17Crew
I sold 4 96 Cp's last year all had the placard,as far as production dates I have no clue!! But the last seven of the vin#s was 5100396, 5100848, 5115979, 5116143 ;shrug :upthumbs

Can’t remember my exact VIN, but I’m in the 19k’s.
My ’96 was built mid June.

B17Crew

LT4 #5107582 does not have a sticker on the hood. The oil filler cap is imprinted (no sticker) with Mobil 1.
Make me smart. Where do you find the build date??

Build date is on the build sheet that I got from the NCM. Send them your serial number and some money ( I can't remember how much. I think around $25). You can get the window sticker too. This is for all Bowling Green cars.

Mine has the sticker on the hood. #100958, built early in the 1996 production run.

Mobil 1 Label

It looks like the early cars have one. Lets see when in the model year it was discontinued.

LT4 #5107582 does not have a sticker on the hood. The oil filler cap is imprinted (no sticker) with Mobil 1.
Make me smart. Where do you find the build date??
Inside Drivers Door at the rear Jam on door!!!:upthumbs

5104860 - 9/19/95 - no placard

That narrows it down to within one month
I don't think so, yours was built in the first six months of production!! Maybe it fell off!!;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom