Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Questions on my 79

Hot. Keep working on it.

Have you done a power flush and fill yet?

I don't want to be a broken record, but this is exactly what my '75 did before the new radiator. I could run fairly cool at 55 mph. If I pushed it up to 65-70 the temp would just continue to creep upwards. I make fairly frequent trips from my home in Whittier to Seal Beach where my son lives. About a half hour on the freeway where, on the weekends, you can maintain 65-70. Before, it would creep up . . . but now with the new stock radiator, it runs at thermostat temperature which at the moment is 180 degrees. I can push it all the way up to 85 or so and never see a temperature rise above set point.

Prestone and their competitors, with all of their fancy flushes and cleaners, made a fortune off of me before I finally broke open my wallet and bought a radiator . . .

Now, I'm :), :), :)

Oh, by the way . . . the engine is now far from stock . . . still runs cool . . .

Page, Yes I disconnected many hoses and flushed out everything untill it was clear water. Also I flushed the heater core.
I think the radiator does need to be replaced. How ever, as you can see from my tests, my only probelem is during highway speeds. When I take it to work, It stays 195 constantly. Highway driving really isnt what I use the vette for. Also I can say with a certain degree of certanty, the gauge is off by at leist 10 degrees.
Ron... you are right. :hb
However. the radiator will be put to 3rd or 4th on the to do list (unless it blows) I need new foam and seats, And the air needs work.
It looks like the radiator slides out. Any thing else to worry about?
A funny side note. I tested the C.B. delco stereo today and it actually works! I see that was a very expensive option 450.00 back in 79.
thanks for the help

Rule of thumb: mechanicals first, esthetics second! The seats can wait, the overheating can't! You'll fry your engine if your leave it...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom