Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quick fuel tank question????

naptownfireman

Corvette
1974 white, black interior
Is this a easy (quick) fix. My fuel tank is leaking on the right side right where the hose comes out of it. There are two wires located in the exact spot also. I think its the seal but im not really sure. Is there a part to swap if I drain it or should I expect to buy a new tank???? Its located right where I can see it on my 74 so I dont think it needs to be dropped. I have fixed a few things myself but this concerns me.:ugh My wife is complaining about the smell of fuel while im at work.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/naptownfireman/4a7c7760.jpg

The tank is probably fine - it's either leaking past the thick rubber O-ring between the flange on the sending unit and the tank, or through the tan wire terminal or the solder joint where the feed pipe comes through the sending unit flange.

You'll need to drain the tank, remove the spare tire tub, and remove the sending unit to replace the O-ring and/or the sending unit, depending on where the leak path is. Also replace the rubber hose from the sending unit to the main fuel line on the frame.

:beer

The tank is probably fine - it's either leaking past the thick rubber O-ring between the flange on the sending unit and the tank, or through the tan wire terminal or the solder joint where the feed pipe comes through the sending unit flange.

You'll need to drain the tank, remove the spare tire tub, and remove the sending unit to replace the O-ring and/or the sending unit, depending on where the leak path is. Also replace the rubber hose from the sending unit to the main fuel line on the frame.

:beer
I believe it was the tan wire. I adjusted it and it stayed dry all day after that. Also went and bought a fresth metal tie and put it on the hose for good measure.. Hope it holds up. I dont drive it much because it has been extremly cold. Ill check it in the morning to see if I get any drips. THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.

Be sure its not leaking from the hose.From the picture you provided it looks like the hose clamp is not all the way on.If you do not know how old that hose is i would replace it and put on a better clamp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom