Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Race Deck Floors

• Thread starter Vette66AirCoupe
  • Start date
toms94
Did you receive your samples from Greg SMith Equip? I received a nice package last saturday and it included the plastic tiles and two rubber ones... They look really good. The rubber ones are only 1/4" thick and have an interlock. I did a floor layout with color and a lot of black and white checkered. My next stop is ot go down to see their store display. They say they have four post lifts sitting on the plastic tiles. Thew only thing about the rubber tiles is losing capability of sliding anything around on them... It is like a rubber mat, with no slipage. Should be great in the garage.
Let me know what you think of your samples.

Well, what is your take? Did you order tiles? If so, pictures are in order. :D

Have not purchased them yet... I have been working with getting two 4'x11' billboards mounted to the walls and some added Corvette signage. I was able to receive a banner last week from the Opening Day festivities at the Indy 500 track they held for Corvettes. I think there were about 99 cars and we all did one lap around the track. Very cool. When they had lunch for us, in the large room were several banners stretched across the room.... I spotted a box on the floor that had a couple banners left over. After the majority of people left, I asked the GM guys what possibility there was to get one of these banners for my garage. They said "sure, no problem"...so it is now stretched across my garage. It is the banner with chevy bowtie's and checkered flags. My garage is 36' wide, and it fit just right. I have a couple of more things going on in building an 18' work bench in the front of the garage, then will take some pictures. The tile is still on my agenda, but need to add this into my budget. :cool

I have the race deck flooring in my garage, for about 1.5 years now.

It does hold up well, but you must remember that it is plastic, so it will scratch, and get marked-up with time. I bought some extra tiles to replace damaged ones.

I bought some small aluminum sheets to put under jack stands and floor jacks to spread the weight, so as not to damage the tiles. One time, one of the wheels did come off of the aluminum sheet, but still did not damage the tile.

I have gotten antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid and diff fluid on it, and was able to wipe it up/clean the area with no stains remaining. Fluids can go down between the tiles though. I haven't spilled any brake fluid on it.

Tires do leave marks. I have the black, gray and white tiles. Where the tires are in constant contact with the white tiles, marks remain. I have heard from others that the stains can be gotten out, but haven't found anything that would do that yet.

The tiles do go down easily enough, and the interlocking design holds them together well. They will expand in the sun, so you must allow for that during the installation. I haven't yet tried replacing a tile, but do think it would be a challenge to get one out in the middle of the floor due to the interlocking design.

One last thing. I recently installed a Rotary Revolution 4 post lift on the floor, and have anchored it down. I hope to post the install of that soon. I had originally planned to cut the tiles and have the floor rest directly on the concrete, but the floor did not seem to deform under the weight of the lift even with a car on it. Keep in mind that the lift has 12" x 12" pads to spread the weight over a large area.

Any questions, please ask.

Ray

If

Have not purchased them yet... I have been working with getting two 4'x11' billboards mounted to the walls and some added Corvette signage. I was able to receive a banner last week from the Opening Day festivities at the Indy 500 track they held for Corvettes. I think there were about 99 cars and we all did one lap around the track. Very cool. When they had lunch for us, in the large room were several banners stretched across the room.... I spotted a box on the floor that had a couple banners left over. After the majority of people left, I asked the GM guys what possibility there was to get one of these banners for my garage. They said "sure, no problem"...so it is now stretched across my garage. It is the banner with chevy bowtie's and checkered flags. My garage is 36' wide, and it fit just right. I have a couple of more things going on in building an 18' work bench in the front of the garage, then will take some pictures. The tile is still on my agenda, but need to add this into my budget. :cool

The banner sounds cool, we want pictures when you get it up.

I have the race deck flooring in my garage, for about 1.5 years now.

It does hold up well, but you must remember that it is plastic, so it will scratch, and get marked-up with time. I bought some extra tiles to replace damaged ones.

I bought some small aluminum sheets to put under jack stands and floor jacks to spread the weight, so as not to damage the tiles. One time, one of the wheels did come off of the aluminum sheet, but still did not damage the tile.

I have gotten antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid and diff fluid on it, and was able to wipe it up/clean the area with no stains remaining. Fluids can go down between the tiles though. I haven't spilled any brake fluid on it.

Tires do leave marks. I have the black, gray and white tiles. Where the tires are in constant contact with the white tiles, marks remain. I have heard from others that the stains can be gotten out, but haven't found anything that would do that yet.

The tiles do go down easily enough, and the interlocking design holds them together well. They will expand in the sun, so you must allow for that during the installation. I haven't yet tried replacing a tile, but do think it would be a challenge to get one out in the middle of the floor due to the interlocking design.

One last thing. I recently installed a Rotary Revolution 4 post lift on the floor, and have anchored it down. I hope to post the install of that soon. I had originally planned to cut the tiles and have the floor rest directly on the concrete, but the floor did not seem to deform under the weight of the lift even with a car on it. Keep in mind that the lift has 12" x 12" pads to spread the weight over a large area.
Any questions, please ask.
Ray
Ray, thanks for the information, you know I think I have decided that I am going to do something different for the floor. I don't want to lose that 3/8 - 1/2" in height in my garage. I am leaning now toward those floor "mats". I had considered epoxy, but it takes so long to prep (correctly), apply and cure. And with my four post lift in place it would be even worse, so epoxy is out. I have considered VCT (Vinyl composition tile) but it can move around and is a pain in the b*tt to replace. The mats seem to be the logical choice, but I am still researching.

Ray,
Thanks for the update on the marks and the tile. That is just my very concern. I am always moving cars from one area of my garage to another and one of my Camaros is on dolly's, and the dolly wheels are only 3" dia. Concern is moving this around easily and also the issue of marks from the tires. I hope to install a four-post lift in the future, so will look forward to your update on your install.
Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom