Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

racing tires advice needed

V

VinceBanger

Hi all.
Question - I've decided to have some fun and take my car to a local track (they offer Pay Per Lap). All my buddys keep telling me that i need racing tires. Problem is I have no idea what tires to use. Any suggestions?

thanks

new tires coming?

ok... a buddy just told me that at sema last year BFG was talking about bringing the R1 back. Anyone confirm that? i can't find any info on it yet. I think i'll wait a bit before i buy.

I use my street BFG G force KDW's on the Road Course events I attend. They work just fine and are alot cheaper than the Goodyear F1 eagles that came on my car. Since the nearest track to me is a 300 mile one way drive and I have no desire to start trailering my car if I had R compounds on, these street tires work just fine.

Hi. I've been doing track days with my '96 for three years. I'm still running street tires, and having a great time! Until your skill levels come way up, you really don't need R compound tires.

It's my opinion that you will learn better driving skills on street tires than on R compounds. The race tires let you get away with bad driving habits.

Barry
NASA HPDE Instructor
Southern California Region

Hi all.
Question - I've decided to have some fun and take my car to a local track (they offer Pay Per Lap). All my buddys keep telling me that i need racing tires. Problem is I have no idea what tires to use. Any suggestions?

thanks

It's pretty tough to make a useful tire recomendation until you tell us what kind of car you're taking to the track.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom