Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rad and Alt...yawn

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Yeehaw Im an Idiot.

First of all I was in a jam a couple years ago so I dumped in a Bosch Alternator..

Mistake one.

Then I over heated last year because my battery wire for the rad fan came off.

Mistake two.

Because of my situation I added water.

Mistake three.

My ancestors (dummys) moved to Edmonton while all my other relatives moved to OAKLAND CA!!!!!!!

That'd be number 4

Parking it outside for the winter with water in the block and radiator with little or no ANTIFREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^%&$# Priceless

So I broke down with a overheated engine (In tact thank god) a blown up radiator and a dead battery.

Question is there anything exotic or wierd about pulling this radiator? I mean does the bumper or hood come off? or is it just a U bracket and its out?

I haven't looked that close at it but the parts are on order.

Oh ya to top off my overheated dead battery breakdown GM and they're infinite wisdom makes the doors lock when the key is on.

Guess who got out to check if the fans were on?

Click!

Cute 5 mins of my life let me tell you but Im skilled in the ways of slim jim :D

Since you're in Canada, I'll use small words, eh? :) Could have been worse - your ancestors could have moved to Newfoundland...

Pulling the radiator is pretty easy, but there're a couple things to watch for. To pull the shroud (the big plastic thing on top of the radiator), you need to take off the air filter assembly and the fan (only a couple bolts for each, plus an electric plug for the fan), then remove about a dozen screws from around the shroud. Take off the upper and lower hoses. Remove the overflow tank hose. Remove the housing for the metal AC tank (if so equipped) and move the tank out of the way. REMOVE THE TRANSMISSION COOLING LINES. This is a critical section - the lines are metal, and the nuts surrounding them are metal. And there are no backing nuts. Use lots of break-free and WATCH CLOSELY to make sure that when the nut starts turning, it's not actually turning and twisting the LINE. I bent one of mine this way and may need to replace the end (haven't yet seen if it still flows well).

Once the shroud and hoses are taken off, the radiator just lifts off its rubber supports. Chances are these are dryrotted or at least moved out of place when you took the radiator out, so check them carefully.

Installation is reverse of removal, but also make sure the mounts in the shroud are in their proper place so the shroud will sit properly. But make sure to use a 50/50 water/antifreeze mix this time :). Prestone sells a pre-mixed jug if you really think you can't figure out the proportions :). Sorry... can't help myself this morning.

Anyway, it's straightforward. I get to remove mine AGAIN to pull the cam AGAIN for the new engine that should arrive next week. If you find you still need a radiator, I've got Whalepirot's old high-capacity one from an 84 sitting in my garage that he wants to sell. It's been cleaned and tested inside.

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom