Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Leaking

leeboy66

Corvette
1977 Bright Yellow Coupe
I noticed my radiator is leaking coolant from the bottom of the unit on the driver's side. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to replace the entire unit? Could it just be a hose problem? I was thinking of getting an aluminum radiator. Does anyone know of a good manufacturer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Check the clamp on the hose. Could be a slow leak around the clamp. You should be able to see where coolant has run down the radiator to the bottom.

Why go aluminum? My advice would be to have your stock unit recored.

:)

radiater leak

I just pulled mine and had it re-cored(wanted the original). A real pain getting mine out, hope yours is easier.

None of them are easy. An adequate supply of the FCB of your choice is often helpful.
:)

You are right there-between the shroud (PITA) and the radiator itself, it's a painful process. Oh, and while trying to drain the radiator, the petcock sheared off. Splish, splash-I was taking a bath.

Now, I know what a BFH is, but what's FCB? Full Cans 'o' Beer? ;)

:beer

Rick
:gap

If its not a hose connection leaking I'd put a new one in it. Been down the re-core road and it isn't worth it (unless you're way into originality) IMHO. A rule of thumb for buying is: The cheaper you get the more you'll have to modify it to get it in there.

And while you're at it...
Probably should check out the radiator support as well. Replaced mine about 2 years ago, it was about to let my rad fall out on the ground.

good luck

I have done it both ways, first I recored the original radiator, you have to watch these, if they are using foreign replacements and they can be 1/4 wider which makes it hard to put back in. Now I have put in a dewitts alum and it is 30 degrees cooler and it fit perfect!!! It depends if you want to tay originalor not. There are replacements like the originals, but talk to them and ask questions like where they are made and who is making them, are they the same exact size, return policy etc.

I'm thinking of going with the aluminum radiator from dewitts. Was it a pain in the ass to install? Did you need to buy any additional hardware?

I noticed my radiator is leaking coolant from the bottom of the unit on the driver's side. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to replace the entire unit? Could it just be a hose problem? I was thinking of getting an aluminum radiator. Does anyone know of a good manufacturer? Thanks in advance for your help.

I went with deWitts. It bolted right in without any modifications.

So did I, was a better fit than the original!! Great service from them and packaged and shipped very promply. They also have electric fans if you are wanting to change. My car is running 30 degress lower now. I think I can put back in the correct temp thermostat now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom