Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radiator Problem...Please Help!

Ludigdrums

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
The upper port on the radiator that the upper hose connects to is loose, and of course I'm leaking from there. I originally thought it was a hose, but when I took the hose off, I reallized that piece was loose.

It almost seems as if it were made to come out, like there is a ring around the bottom. It's only attached at the very bottom. I was able to get it back in, but I can't see how that makes a tight enough seal.

What are my options?! Do I need a new radiator?!

Thanks as always!

- Jeremy

If it's a conventional copper/brass radiator, you can pull it out and any decent radiator shop can re-solder the neck back on the tank.
:beer

Good to know...Hey do you think that J-B Weld might work okay?

Thanks!

- Jeremy

Don't Glue It!

Ludigdrums said:
Good to know...Hey do you think that J-B Weld might work okay? Thanks!- Jeremy
PLEASE DO NOT! The JB stuff is great ... and it MIGHT work to seal up the upper rad inlet ... and it MIGHT NOT last long.

Even worse, once that "glue" has been on there, the radiator shop will have a very tough time re-soldering it ... the solder may not stick well ... the shop may even refuse to try it ... and likely will not stand behind it. Otherwise the re-solder job is straight forward.

I like JB and use it on other things ... I suggest using JB on rad ONLY if you're truly STUCK w/ NO other way to go. If rad has seen several years of poor/no maintenance, it may be cheaper to replace. Take it to a reputable rad shop ... they'll tell you whether you need new rad or not ... probably show you why/why not.
JACK:gap

Thanks for the info. I thought JB Weld was supposed to be a real steel?

Hopefully I can find a shop locally that I can drive to that won't charge an arm and a leg for a 1 minute welding job. Man I need to learn how to weld!

Thanks again!

- Jeremy

Ludigdrums said:
I thought JB Weld was supposed to be a real steel?

There's no glue that's 'real steel' other than maybe having some filings in it. Even if there was, you're trying to solder brass to brass, not weld steel to steel.

Big difference.

I tried JB on my radiator of my Camry once as a last resort.It didnt hold up to the pressure.Blew right through it.I had a hairline crack at the top of the radiatior near the cap.These were common on Camrys.

The weak aspect of using JB and other epoxy like sealers / glues is that it is very, very difficult to get all surfaces clean enough to get a proper bonding between the glue and metal parts being sealed. Bottom line is the only real fix is the welding approach.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom