Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio assistance

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
I'm in the process of trying to replace the radio and cannot get the gauge cluster off. I removed the 4 screws on the gauge area face and the 2 nuts from the radio knob area but the gauge front won't budge.

What did I forget to do and does the center consol have to be removed also? The assembly manual does not give a description of how to do this.

FRUSTRATED

Chuck

My 75 has two nuts holding it to the console. There are 2 studs at the bottom edge of the Bezel that fit into a couple of holes. You'll have to remove the Bezel around the shift lever to get in there, sometimes you can get in from the side access covers. If it's the same as mine, toss the nuts after you get it apart and replace them with hex threaded standoffs. You can get a socket on them much easier.

Bill

Chuck,looks like there are 2 screws going from the bottom up from the center console plate up into the gauge cluster look at the diagram I took from the service manual.

Did you remove your side covers? Those panels that run along side the tunnel? I can't recall if you need to remove the seat to get to those screws. I think you might. Anyways...taking off the side panels should allow you a better look up in there. I took out my radio so long ago that I don't recall what's involved.

Chuck.... once you have the four screws and the two from the conter console plate removed you may find that the entire gauge cluster is simply stuck to the sides of the dash. I also found when I replaced my bezel and radio that some of the dash trim will gete caught on then edges of the bezel when you try to pull it out. There is nothing else holding it in. It will come out but you may have to pry it carefully lest you break/crack or damage and dash panels that it fits in.

Good luck........ nut :D

Chuck,looks like there are 2 screws going from the bottom up from the center console plate up into the gauge cluster look at the diagram I took from the service manual.
Yep, like mentioned, remove the carpeted side panels(a 90+ screwdrive helps with the screw by the seat, or just pull the lower cushions out) and look for a screw on each side up from the bottom. It also helps to remove the screws from the console(don't remove it!) which will give you some wiggle room to get the bezel out. That heater control light mounted at the top of the bezel sticks up a little. Be careful, that old plastic can be pretty fragile.

Chuck,

I installed my radio from the side panel, passengers side. I didn't remove the gauge bezel ;shrug

Be very careful with the bolts connecting the gauge bezel to the console, the plastic if very old and breaks real easy :W (don't ask me how I know)..

Bud

I like your gun collection. It would take too long to list mine. Good bless the NRA and the freedom that the American soldier provides us. BTW - I am the one that bought Guy's silver/green '82.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock, doc!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom