Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

RADIO INSTALLATION

sofast4u

Corvette
1069 cortez silver
Hey guys I'm in the process of reinstalling the factory radio back in .

I had it checked and redone and was able to make it CD changer ready. I 've seen it on the forum before but does any one have the teardown process for removing the gauge cluster to access the radio..

I'm using 4" speakers up front in the kick panels and I found one inch speakers
(100 watts)??? in JC Whitney catalog, hide them in the back. I need to find a spot for the CD changer, I'm thinking one of the rear compartments. any other ideas.
thanks for the help/ideas
jeff

...does any one have the teardown process for removing the gauge cluster to access the radio....

Easiest route is to remove RH dash pad and forward console trim to gain access to the right side of the cluster. Remove trim screws on left side of cluster; remove two nuts under the console holding the cluster; cover console trim plate to protect it; lift entire cluster up and out.

Mount the radio in the bezel and reverse above steps to install.

:)

Easiest route is to remove RH dash pad and forward console trim to gain access to the right side of the cluster. Remove trim screws on left side of cluster; remove two nuts under the console holding the cluster; cover console trim plate to protect it; lift entire cluster up and out.

Mount the radio in the bezel and reverse above steps to install.

i agree with all but the "mount the radio in the bezel" part. the radio gets mounted to mounting brackets that are attached to the center tunnel behind the cluster. properly mounted on these brackets, the bezel then goes back over the mounted radio and is attached to the bezel with the shaft nuts and washers, then the knobs. the bezel doesn't support the radio (as it would seem described above), the 2 mounting brackets support the radio.

dont forget to detach and reattach the oil line going to the gage...its not an electronic gage, has an oil line connected to it.

1" speakers????? im not a pro , but i would try and find a better speaker....it may end up sounding like a transister radio....i have 6x9 in the back and have plenty of room for my t tops to store under them.....4 inch speakers in the dash and 4 inch speakers in the kick panels. i customised my bezel to fit my cd player, then they started selling them made for the cd changer. get the new bezel made for the cd changer and put your original away for safe keeping in the future. take digital photos as you go for refrence when putting it back together....make notes as you go aswell....take your time and force nothing back in.
good luck, chas

(let me know if you need a photo of mine and i will do my best to cover it for you.)

radio installation

Hey
guys thanks for the help. and all thee info . I knew someone would have it.

I am keeping the original gauge bezel. Im having the original radio configured so that i can use a CD modulator so i can ron a CD changer from i. Its hooked up thru the antena and runs off one of the low FM stations. doesnt change the look of the radio and the modulator is hidden away and runs the CD changer hidden in the back. I'll report back on those 1" speakers on how the sound. (100 W).....
will see.
Thabks
jeff:beer

...the radio gets mounted to mounting brackets that are attached to the center tunnel behind the cluster....

Depends on the year. Your method is probably correct for the plastic bezel cars (77-82). For the metal bezel cars, unit mounts directly to the bezel and uses one flat metal support on the right rear corner.

Hi Jeff, slightly different direction for your thread but could you elaborate on how you made the original radio is able to control a CD player (or accept input from an external audio source like a CD or MP3 player?)?

Thanks

WOW! This thread couldn't come at a better time. I will be installing my original Delco 8-track stereo soon as well. Thanks.

WOW! This thread couldn't come at a better time. I will be installing my original Delco 8-track stereo soon as well. Thanks.

Got the AIM? The AIM will show you a diagram of the whole nine yards.

My '80 has the AM/FM 8 track.

Jeepers, folks, I can actually remember 8-track tape cartridges.

Mike, do you have this AIM that will show the installation. I could probably figure it out on my own but if you have it.

Mike, do you have this AIM that will show the installation. I could probably figure it out on my own but if you have it.

I have the '80 AIM. What I don't have is the ability to scan the pages you need. Order an AIM from any of the aftermarket providers or off ebay. AIMs are extremely handy items to have lying around.

hey mike
I had it done at my local radio place
they're an AC Delco dealer and they have a good reputatyon

the wire the system thru the antena and flick to a certain low FM station to activate it. all for $75. I 'll let you once its all in
jeff

Help with Convector installation on a '72

I'm the process of re-installing my original radio also and I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having difficulty with installing the convector. I can't figure out exactly where it's supposed to be mounted, I can't find two existing holes that line up with the holes in the brackets on the convector. Can anyone provide and explanation, or better yet a picture of how this piece fits?

Here's a picture of the part that the PO gave me with the car, is it the right piece? I hooked everything up outside the car (thanks Fuelie!) and it all works.

DSC02651.jpg

Speaker Resistance

Hey guys I'm in the process of reinstalling the factory radio back in .

I had it checked and redone and was able to make it CD changer ready. I 've seen it on the forum before but does any one have the teardown process for removing the gauge cluster to access the radio..

I'm using 4" speakers up front in the kick panels and I found one inch speakers
(100 watts)??? in JC Whitney catalog, hide them in the back. I need to find a spot for the CD changer, I'm thinking one of the rear compartments. any other ideas.
thanks for the help/ideas
jeff
Hi Jeff. I'm not sure if you've already considered/dealt with this or if it even applies in the case of your particular radio, but fwiw...there's a label on my radio which indicates that the unit is designed to work with 10ohm speakers. Apparently the radio can be damaged by using it with 4ohm speakers, which I think are the norm for car speakers. I picked up a pair of 10ohm GM speakers from a place in London, Ontario for not a lot of money. I can give you their particulars if you're interested.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this even applies to you but I wanted to mention it just in case.:beer

I'm the process of re-installing my original radio also and I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm having difficulty with installing the convector. I can't figure out exactly where it's supposed to be mounted, I can't find two existing holes that line up with the holes in the brackets on the convector. Can anyone provide and explanation, or better yet a picture of how this piece fits?

Here's a picture of my 71' radio amp (upper right). There were a couple of screw holes in the cowl brace for it. Looks a little different than yours, but mounting location might be the same.

Amp-2.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom