Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Radio Reception

njlouc

Corvette
2000 Black Coupe
I just got my Y2K c5 in December and due to our weather i havn't used it too much. Here's the question.
I have the single disc/Bose system, and the radio reception is truly poor. I can only get ~2-3 AM and a handful of FM. Even the strong stations sound poor. I think it may be an antenna problem, possibly ground. I have the windshield antenna/s (?):confused. Are they all bad or is this one a problem?
My other cars (factory radios) are significantly better without the Bose name.

Sounds like you have an antenna issue. I have the same radio but in a vert with a regular mast antenna and I get great reception.

I just got my 1998 Coupe about 3 weeks ago with windsheild antenna and the reception is good even here in central Virginia with mountains. Check the antenna connection into the radio to be sure it is pushed in all the way. I'm not sure if that will be easy though I haven't had the car long enough to know.

Keep 'em rollin'
Bill

Radio? Do they still put those things in cars? :L I only use the CD player. Seriously, I have used the radio a few times and get very good reception. I think the advice concerning the ground may be on track.

I am addicted to the A.M. radio and get great reception, must be an issue with antenna.

New Jersey?

Once again, it's because you live in Noo-Joy-Zee .... :D

I'll have to try the AM out this week but if you say you have problems with the FM too, you .... "you gots problems" ... as we would say in Joy speak.

I live out in the Hunterdon area; that is about as bad as you can get. I have no problems with any of the Philly or NY stations that I've wanted and can even get WDVR ............ (old time country) ........... any time.

Sounds like an antenna problem.

Ah! For the good old days where you could just add a length of coat hanger or "tin foil" for better reception.

:eyerole

C5 coupes have in-glass antennae - check the connections at both ends. Another possibility is if you have aftermarket tinted glass... metallic film tints will attenuate radio reception.

GL! :beer

bad noos!

I took my car out on Sunday and kept you in mind. It hurt, but I even hit the AM band and got all of the big stations very clear.

For that matter, the C-5 is the top dog of our fleet when it comes to AM reception (or FM probably too) ...

The Saab and Volvo sucked (we gave up trying to get Yankee games long ago), and the Toyota truck wasn't bad but nothing to write home to Mom about ... but .... all of the stations came in clear as a bell in the C-5.

From out in Hunterdon ... that's saying something since you can't get much farther from or between the stations; Trenton, Philly and NY all came in fine.

HI there,
Your antenna diversity module could be an issue.
The ground sourcing for that is critical to proper function.
The system takes the strongest signal from either antenna and then uses that.
This is how the module works.
If the module is dead or a cable is shorted, you could have a condition like what your experiencing.
Allthebest, c4c5

You need to re-empower the antenna diversity module. One too many Jersey jolts can disenfranchise it in the blink of an eye.

In order to balance the diversity module, select and listen to any number of Spanish, rap and/or "alternative music" stations; for as long as you can handle it.

Consider yourself lucky living in such a diverse state as NJ ... if you'da lived in Montana you would have been screwed.

;LOL;LOL

If you lived in NJ .. you would appreciate this more. Then you would slit your wrists. ;squint:

thanks for your many responses. I drove to an area where the signals are better and the radio worked well. BUT In my home area, my other cars (factory radios) are still significantly better. I will check that module it seems like a likely area.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom