Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Radio W/Nav

caddy

Corvette
2005 C6 LeMans Blue
Couple of questions, 1. When I bought my C6 with the Nav package I thought (Stupid Me thinking again) that the Nav package CD player would play MP3's..well you guessed it......It doesn't, anyone out there gone 3rd party to add on to the existing Nav package with a CD player that will play MP3's? If so where and how much?
2. Anyone had any problems on your C6 with static from the Radio? I have been noticing lately that while just driving down the street the radio seems to have more than an unusual amount of static on pretty much all the local stations.
3. Anyone had any problems overall that has required Warranty work?
Thanks

My neighbor has a 2005 with NAV and his radio has the same issue. The dealer keeps "fixing" it but it hasn't got any better. Another friend got his Z06 Thursday and they deleted his NAV...........his radio works fine.

The 2006 I had, with the base radio, worked great.

I have not noticed any static on the radio in my C-6. I also have the NAV.

Any info on the MP3 capability upgrade/update for the 2005 with Nav would be GREAT. I am really, really REALLY bummed about my new beauty not having the 'tunes' I thought it would have.

I can skip the 6 disc changer that I paid for in the option package (and listed on the window sticker not once, but twice) if I had the MP3 capabilty.
Anybody got a number or another option for us to get those MP3 tunes in our 2005? Can we replace the system with the 2006 Nav/CD/MP3?

I wasen't torqued.......I was PIS*ED, I think it's a shame that in the year 2005 a new car espically a new corvette has a CD player that does not play MP3's, the IDIOT that designed the NAV system should be SHOT!!!
and then GM wonders why they are going broke.....had I known this I would not have gotten the NAV system in the first place!

caddy said:
Couple of questions, 1. When I bought my C6 with the Nav package I thought (Stupid Me thinking again) that the Nav package CD player would play MP3's..well you guessed it......It doesn't, anyone out there gone 3rd party to add on to the existing Nav package with a CD player that will play MP3's? If so where and how much?
2. Anyone had any problems on your C6 with static from the Radio? I have been noticing lately that while just driving down the street the radio seems to have more than an unusual amount of static on pretty much all the local stations.
3. Anyone had any problems overall that has required Warranty work?
Thanks

If you have a 2005 C6 you can go to the dealer to get an upgrade to the nav that will fix issues with static and MP3 capability.... under warranty

I'm curious, if what your saying is true, then why doesn't GM (Chevy) send out letters to 2005 C6 owners that got the Nav package and tell them about the Upgrade? They Do it for Recalls all the time, and I would have to believe this is pretty important, not life threating by no means but pretty darn important to C6 owners.
By the way thanks for the info, I will be checking that out on Monday

This came from a posting on Corvetteforum:

ASI Resolution - Poor and/or No Radio Reception, Intermittent Static on FM with Navigational Radio System (Update Radio Software) #05-08-44-014A - (Dec 9, 2005)
Poor and/or No Radio Reception, Intermittent Static on FM with Navigational Radio System (Update Radio Software)
2005 Chevrolet Corvette (Domestic and Export) with Navigation Radio

This bulletin is being revised to provide correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-44-014 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the following conditions:

• Static is heard on stations with an otherwise strong signal, after the ignition is turned on.

• The radio is unable to stop at specific stations when using the "seek" function.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIO

Important: The software is updated using a CD, not through SPS programming. New software, P/N 15853651, can be obtained from GMSPO. Dealers should retain the service CD for future use.

The software update will do the following:

• Modify the signal interface with the ARS module to correct the reception condition.

• Add an on-screen message to remind the customer that a destination is required before a route can be planned.

• Add MP3 functionality.

The navigation/radio software, P/N 15853651, should be updated using the following procedure:

Important:

• This software can ONLY be used for updating the 2005 Corvette navigation radio, P/N 15263014. Do not use these CDs to update any other vehicle's navigation radio. The radio part number can be verified via the Tech 2®.

• Software CDs and a Tech 2® are required to complete this procedure.

• Use of latex gloves is recommended to avoid fingerprints on the products and/or discs.

• If the vehicle is turned "off" during updating, the "software updating" process may not work and a new navigation radio will be required.

Follow the steps below to complete the software update.

Turn the ignition "on" with the engine "off" by holding the ignition switch in "ACC" mode for at least 10 seconds.

Open the tilt screen (navigation screen) to gain access to the DVD drive.

Eject the navigation DVD from the DVD drive (bottom slot).
Important: It may be necessary to close the radio screen for Disc 1 - Navigation to begin operation. If the navigation software version in the navigation radio is the same or higher than v.1312, the software updating will not start.

Insert Disc 1- Navigation software version 1312 into the DVD slot.

"Preparing to Load System Software" is displayed on the screen along with a progress bar. It will take approximately 5 minutes for Disc 1 to load.
After Disc 1 - Navigation has completed the navigation system will automatically restart. Eject disc 1 from the DVD slot. Insert Disc 2 - Audio software version 01.0F into the DVD slot.
Important: Approximately 10-15 seconds after inserting the disc, the screen will go blank. It will appear that the radio has shut down and/or locked up. This is the mode the radio will go into when the software is updating. If the audio software version in the navigation radio is the same as v01.0F, the software updating will not start.

When Disc 2 is completed, the system will automatically restart. It will take approximately 5-10 minutes for the system to restart. Remove Disc 2 - Audio from the DVD drive.
Turn the vehicle off. Open and close the driver's door and wait for 60 seconds.
Turn the vehicle on and reinstall the customer's navigation DVD.
Press the "NAV" button on the navigation radio, then press the "Agree" soft key on the screen.
After the map screen is displayed, touch the map screen the confirm that the map can be scrolled.
Using the Tech 2®, clear any/all DTCs from the radio.
Part Information
Part Number
Description

Disc -- Navigation Data

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R9707*
CD Update - Radio/Navigation Software
0.5 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

Took Mine in

I took my 2005 C6 in to the dealer on Monday the 12th, for the radio problem/upgrade, I was told by my service writer that they would have to order the CD/DVD (this tells me I must be the first) so he told me 3 to 5 working days, once it comes in and I take it back, I will let everyone know if it's fixed and working properly and if it indeed will play MP3's files......Keep your fingers crossed.

My dealer has it on order as well. That will be a nice upgrade!

Just show you folks know, I have a 2005 C6 Coupe with the Nav package and just had the upgrade done a few days ago.........and it works and works well I can now play MP3's and it's great...........go for the upgrade bets the heck out of paying 500 bucks for a 6 CD changer, the MP3 playing is much eaiser and you get a heck of a lot of songs on one CD.....the most I have managed so for is about 174 songs....................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom