Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rag top for coupes

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I was just pasing through my catalogs (Dreamin) and I focused HARD on this Rag for coupes!

Does anyone have one of these? Do they hold up under speed well? Do they leak (Much)? Do they really fold up well?

If these things are the best thing since sliced bread GOOD BYE Hard top!

Big Red,

Never saw one, but it sounds interesting. I almost never take my targa off as I find it's a pain for little gain. I've got the glass top, so not much different. Then, when you get were you're going, you just have to put it back on. Also got caught in the rain once while in a pack of 10 vettes. All had to wait while I bolted it back on. It should of had latches!

I agree wouldn't it be nice for an aftermarket company to produce a "rig" that would turn our bolts into quick latches I'd sure buy a set!

In the mean time MA,Eckers,VetteAm all have these rag tops Im most certainly interested.

I'm hip

I don't usually take off the top from the 84 because of the bolt on feature like youse guys have stated, but when I got the 99 I was pleasently surprised to fine latches, 2 at windshield and 1 in rear. I can take the top off, and more importantly, put it back on in seconds. They did finally figure it out.

Rag topp seems a good idea. I never have the topp on (only in rain). Down to 5 deg C i drive with te top off.
Max

A number of years ago, my Mother purchased one of those rag tops for my Dad's old '87... They are all different, but this one used velcro to attach... While it looked quick and easy, we decided against it and returned it for a new exhuast:) I would love to have one for my car, the tops are heavy and a pain in the butt... I just don't know which one is good... I was also considering trying to get the convertible latches attached to the coupe's top.... heck, if I could get the front to latch on with the bolts in the rear it would make life a heck of a lot easier!

The one Im reading about says it mounts with the exisiting hardware (I guess the four pillar bolts)! So if its a "framed" piece that actually bolts in wouldn't that be alright?

Red, the way I read it, it says
"Installs quickly utilizing the stock mounting points."
, but then goes on to state
"Velcro seals across the front and back..."
You gotta figure that one out for yourself. :L

At any rate, I wouldn't trust it at any kind of highway speeds; it just sounds too flimsy for me, and for three hundred dollars, I wouldn't want it blowing off in traffic. :eek

_ken :w

The velcro thing is the exact reason why I don't want to get it... Even though I was scared of the front blackout kit on my car at first, because it uses velcro... The velcro is some super strong kind though, that seats in really well. I guess decide for yourself. Maybe another CAC member has one?

I have one of these for my 92 or I really should say for my wifes 92. She loves to have the top off but like you have all said it was apain to put back in the rain. She's a tiny little thing too and the top almost almost too heavy for her to handle. It has an adapter plate that srews on to the existing ones on the front that allows a stud that uses finger nuts to hold it down in the front. Then it has a velcro tie that slips around the mirror. In the back it has velcro strips that you attach to the molding and then straps on the top that hook to that. I wasn't real sure about it but I installed the adapters and the velcro. The hardest part is intially getting the braces located just right so the top fits even side to side. Once everything is in place you can put the top on in about a minute. It folds in half so it doesn't eat up the little space you have in the back. It holds fine at hwy speed 60 to 65. Maybe more but I wouldn't want to run any faster with it on. It will give you a little leak in a real bad rain though. Not the greatest thing but it works good for her all around town and gives her the freedom to keep the top off as much as possible. :cool

Sure can, it doesn't effect the way the glass top fits at all.

I decided to go ahead and order one of these. It has all of the same mounting points "badc4red" said above. It seems pretty safe to me. I will take some pics of my install and post them on here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom