Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ram Air/Electric Choke Problem Revisited

Many years ago I made a little "vacuum chamber" using a typical hotel/motel drinking glass that is pretty sturdy and made a steel end plate with a rubber gasket. I use my A/C vacuum pump to pump the air out of the glass and had fun putting various things inside the glass to see how they were affected by a strong vacuum. Oddly enough ants, beetles, and grasshoppers weren't affected at all by the 29.75" of Hg but a live mouse showed GREAT signs of distress and bulging eyes before dropping dead. Tap water will "boil" as the air in the water is purged and a marshmallow will collapse into almost nothing.

Many years ago I made a little "vacuum chamber" using a typical hotel/motel drinking glass that is pretty sturdy and made a steel end plate with a rubber gasket. I use my A/C vacuum pump to pump the air out of the glass and had fun putting various things inside the glass to see how they were affected by a strong vacuum. Oddly enough ants, beetles, and grasshoppers weren't affected at all by the 29.75" of Hg but a live mouse showed GREAT signs of distress and bulging eyes before dropping dead. Tap water will "boil" as the air in the water is purged and a marshmallow will collapse into almost nothing.

Now he's just screwing with us, right?

Throwing In The Towel

I'm going to give up on it because it's not a problem anyway. As long as it's real easy to start in the cold winter months I am as happy as a clam. But it was fun screwing with it and it kept me out of the bars and chasing women. Unheated large port/large runner intake manifolds and #3310 Holleys aren't very conducive to cold weather/low rpm operation so I'll just deal with what I've got and not worry about it.

I watched a You Tube video on cold air intakes yesterday and found a drop in air intake temperature of 50 degrees F will yield about 3.3% more torque because of the denser air. As my Ram Air is also COLD air I get the benefit of the pressurized air as well as the benefit of the denser air. It's a WIN/WIN situation.

YouTube the ultimate source for engine design....

Is YouTube where your degree in engineering came from?

He must have forgotten that ants have their skeleton on the outside as well!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like he's getting his degree from us!
a78f983fcdae2eef703e443e21799406.jpg

c4b7a19d481ed663ddabf99ce168ee43.jpg

I'm going to give up on it because it's not a problem anyway. As long as it's real easy to start in the cold winter months I am as happy as a clam. But it was fun screwing with it and it kept me out of the bars and chasing women. Unheated large port/large runner intake manifolds and #3310 Holleys aren't very conducive to cold weather/low rpm operation so I'll just deal with what I've got and not worry about it.

I watched a You Tube video on cold air intakes yesterday and found a drop in air intake temperature of 50 degrees F will yield about 3.3% more torque because of the denser air. As my Ram Air is also COLD air I get the benefit of the pressurized air as well as the benefit of the denser air. It's a WIN/WIN situation.

Good idea giving up.

You might want to consider that thought before your next post.

Maybe he used his vacuum chamber on himself at one point?

That would solve at least one mystery. I would venture a guess that if he could find a big enough hotel/motel drinking glass to steal, he would give it a shot.

Probably would take more than one try though.

His theory is kinda correct but its definitely not the proper repair for his issue!
Back in the 80's the 86 Buick, Chevrolet and Pontiac 4 cylinders all had a tip in hesitation due to the EGR opening to early.
I narrowed it down to the exhaust gas recirculation valve opening prematurely
I removed the tiny plastic tube and installed a 1/4“ vacuum hose thinking that it would have to remove more air before the valve would open.
Worked like a charm, of course GM said we'll update the prom instead of the hose across the board for a permanent fix.
The crazy thing was both the source and EGR nipples were designed for a 1/4" vacuum hose

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I used to design million dollar machines that used vacuum cups to "pick up" product and transfer it to a different "station" where other functions took place. It wasn't the vacuum that picked it up but rather the force of the atmospheric pressure that forced it up against the vacuum cup. For evacuating my A/C I have always used a Harbor Freight pressure/vacuum device that produces 29.75" Hg using 90 psi of inlet pressure and I typically evacuate it for an hour.

I used to design million dollar machines.

Name 1, just 1

Harbor Freight/29.75" Hg

I believe your gauge was broken!
Harbor Freight and an almost perfect vacuum is an oxymoron isn't it?

Last edited:
I used to design million dollar machines that used vacuum cups to "pick up" product and transfer it to a different "station" where other functions took place. It wasn't the vacuum that picked it up but rather the force of the atmospheric pressure that forced it up against the vacuum cup. For evacuating my A/C I have always used a Harbor Freight pressure/vacuum device that produces 29.75" Hg using 90 psi of inlet pressure and I typically evacuate it for an hour.

Of course we all know that there is no vacuum, just negative pressure, correct self professed engineer "toobroke"?

Last edited:
I used to design million dollar machines that used vacuum cups to "pick up" product and transfer it to a different "station" where other functions took place.

Gee, curious minds want to know; so fill us in.

That said, I'd hope your million dollar machines worked better than your marshmallow experiment.

You say you're always open to learn; yet, your words say you aren't.

Gee, curious minds want to know; so fill us in.

That said, I'd hope your million dollar machines worked better than your marshmallow experiment.

You say you're always open to learn; yet, your words say you aren't.

If toobroke ever was an engineer my bet would be on a coal fired train or the sanitation industry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom