Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ram Jet ZL1 crate engine

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
Has anyone seen the new Hot Rod Magazine? On the cover is the new GM all aluminum ZL1 crate engine. A 454 with a modified version of the original ZL1 block and semi open chamber oval port heads. Makes 510 very street friendly horsepower and uses the Ram Jet fuel injection off of the 502 crate motor. No part number yet and only 200 will be built at an estimated $20,000 . each. No mention of blocks or individual parts availability but I would bet on it.

Don't look like the web site has caught up but it should be here shortly.

HOT ROD Magazine

Not here yet either. Too new but should be soon. Keep checking.

GM Performance Parts Crate Engines

Tom

I think I would just as soon have this ZZ572, 572ci/620hp & 720hp versions.

ZZ572smallside.jpg

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Sneak/Previews.html

tom...

Now that's impressive too. Did I mention that they have special cast valve covers that say Ram Jet ZL1. They are only available on the crate engine and are sequentially numbered for that engine. Let's face it. They are building collectors items here and they know it. As before, there will only be a precious few people that will have a ZL1 even though there are other big blocks that will be faster and cheaper to buy.

Tom

Yep, at 20k a pop, they are selling the ZL1 on it's history.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the Ram Jet injection bear any resemblence to a real ram jet? Or are they just using the name cause it sounds cool?

Jason

The RamJet resembles the old fuelie set up and kinda reminds you of the Miniram from TPIS. They come in the RamJet 350 and 502. they are shown in the GM performance book. I'm suprized no one has bought one for the older vettes . They come alredy to go , just add 12volts ,fuel and oil. They have thier own computor and harness. Pretty sweet looking too. 350 cu.in. 350 HP 355 ftlbs.

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife...:)

So in a nutshell the Ram Jet is just what Tom said it is, an Electronic Fuel Injection system.:)

I guess I got hung up on the ram jet name. When I see ram jet, I think the aeronautical version, not fuel injection.:)

Jason

Jason,

If you go to the GM link I listed you can see a picture of the Ram Jet 502 engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom