Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Random shutdown.....

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Ok, so my vette is randomly shutting down on me.

In the last 2 days, it has quit on me 2 times, and tried a third. What happened when is when I have come to a stop, the idle drops past the idle point, gets rough, and then dies. I have tried feathering the throttle, but to no avail. Today on the way home, I gave it some throttle after slowing in traffic, and noticed nothing was happening. I down shifted 6-5, then 5-4, and kept the engine spinning, and then after about 10-20 seconds, it powered up again and it was ok the rest of the way home. A friend following me said he saw a puff of black smoke come out the pipes when it did this.

Ok...I am accepting guesses.

Could it be a cat backing up?
Idle control malfunction (though happening while in gear makes it a real long shot)
I have a bad wire to the coolant temp sensor, but don't really think they are related.

ummmm..

Thanks.

Mike

(92, 6spd, 60K miles)

Id say IAC or Throttle position sensor perhaps (From what I hear) sounds like the throttle wants to bog the motor down with fuel (Hence the Black smoke)

Try hooking the car up to a Code reader. ( I did last year...I looked like a pasta maker with the wires I was sawing and cuting and replacing...) LIONS AND TIGERS AND SENSORS OH MY! Lol :J

Hope that sends you on the right track.

BigRed said:
Id say IAC or Throttle position sensor perhaps (From what I hear) sounds like the throttle wants to bog the motor down with fuel (Hence the Black smoke)

Try hooking the car up to a Code reader. ( I did last year...I looked like a pasta maker with the wires I was sawing and cuting and replacing...) LIONS AND TIGERS AND SENSORS OH MY! Lol :J

Hope that sends you on the right track.

Yeah I would suggest the Same.. either the IAC (Idle Air Control) or the TPS (Throttle position sensor)

Thanks, I will check them and let you know how it goes.

-MIke

Update:
I have it in the shop, and they said the coolant sensor has been causing the computer to change the mixture, causing an over rich, and killing the engine.

Oh yeah, and the 8 month old harmonic balancer is shot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom